Bumblefoot treatment

hispoptart

Free Ranging
12 Years
Apr 14, 2011
NW Colorado
So today I went to water the girls and Queen Ann was limping pretty bad. She was fine yesterday. So I picked her up and saw that her left pad was swollen. I had my husband come look and see if he could see a scab of some sort thinking it was bumblefoot. He said he couldn't see anything, but I went to the store to get some Epson salt and antibiotic cream. When I got back I pulled up some info on bumblefoot and showed DH. Then I went and got everything prepped to do a soak and see what we could. I had DH look at her foot one more time. He said oh now that I know what I am looking for I can see it. Here are the pics.

IMG_20200710_140959103.jpg
IMG_20200710_141010196.jpg

So we began the soaking process.

IMG_20200710_143407508.jpg
IMG_20200710_143413488.jpg

And this is what we found after her foot was all clean.

IMG_20200710_142552517_HDR.jpg

Now it was time to remove the plug.... It took 2 more soakings to get it lose enough to remove but this is the final outcome.

IMG_20200710_145418481.jpg

IMG_20200710_145811726_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200710_145818209_HDR.jpg

She's limping worse now, but I think this is in part due to the bandage on her foot. But she is eating and drinking just fine so thats a plus. So far the other 2 girls are leaving her alone. I don't have a separate cage to put her in, so I will remove the bandaged tomorrow, see how dirty it's got and clean it. If it's to dirty then I am going to have to come up with something to help keep it clean.

Poor thing.

This is a good time to check the rest of your flock's footpads for any early signs of Bumblefoot (Podermatsisis), it often appears as yellow flaking during the earlier stages. Sometimes Bumble is just going to happen, but taking a little bit of time to address any incorrect husbandry practices may be good. For example, lower and smooth perches, improve drainage around pen, and remove any sharp objects that they may step on.

You really should have her inside. A cat carrier or dog kennel work. If shes not feeling well she may be happy in a big cardboard box. If she steps on something or she starts pucking at that dressing ahe could end up worse of than she is. I think you did a good job treating the foot!!! The foot should be cleansed and dressing changed at least once a day until healed. My chicken ended up in the house for about 2 weeks when we did surgery to remove her kernel

I hope you squeezed the footpad to force out any leftover infection, squeeze it hard and dont worry about any blood, just use a paper towel to soak up blood. Normally there's a hole after the infection has been removed. Pack it with neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. Then put gauze over it and wrap it up with duct tape, not too tight and not too loose. You can cut thin strips of the duct tape to fit between the toes as necessary.
Then you dont have to worry about her getting the foot wet or dirty and no need to cage her.
Then in 3 days remove the duct tape. Use scissors to vertically cut the tape slowly down the leg and simply peel it off.
If the footpad is swollen and red, that means there's infection in the footpad and you'll have to start over.
Otherwise put neosporin on the hole and gauze over it and wrap it up again with duct tape. Then wait 4 days and remove the duct tape and gauze and it should be completely healed.

Poor thing.

This is a good time to check the rest of your flock's footpads for any early signs of Bumblefoot (Podermatsisis), it often appears as yellow flaking during the earlier stages. Sometimes Bumble is just going to happen, but taking a little bit of time to address any incorrect husbandry practices may be good. For example, lower and smooth perches, improve drainage around pen, and remove any sharp objects that they may step on.
Thank you, I will check the other 2 and make sure to check for things that may have caused this.

You really should have her inside. A cat carrier or dog kennel work. If shes not feeling well she may be happy in a big cardboard box. If she steps on something or she starts pucking at that dressing ahe could end up worse of than she is. I think you did a good job treating the foot!!! The foot should be cleansed and dressing changed at least once a day until healed. My chicken ended up in the house for about 2 weeks when we did surgery to remove her kernel

Thank you, I will change her dressing in the morning, maybe give it another soak, then put meds on it and redress it. Yes I think she should be in a cleaner environment. I am going to address that in the morning.

I hope you squeezed the footpad to force out any leftover infection, squeeze it hard and dont worry about any blood, just use a paper towel to soak up blood. Normally there's a hole after the infection has been removed. Pack it with neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. Then put gauze over it and wrap it up with duct tape, not too tight and not too loose. You can cut thin strips of the duct tape to fit between the toes as necessary.
Then you dont have to worry about her getting the foot wet or dirty and no need to cage her.
Then in 3 days remove the duct tape. Use scissors to vertically cut the tape slowly down the leg and simply peel it off.
If the footpad is swollen and red, that means there's infection in the footpad and you'll have to start over.
Otherwise put neosporin on the hole and gauze over it and wrap it up again with duct tape. Then wait 4 days and remove the duct tape and gauze and it should be completely healed.
DH squeezed her pad, but as soon as she pulled away he stopped. I know he did not want to hurt her, but I know we have to get it all. I don't think we got all of it, so we will have to try again tomorrow. Hopefully I will have a separate cage for her, but if not I will try the duct tape.

Back
Top Bottom