Bumblefoot?

caitbait

Chirping
Nov 11, 2020
Oakland, CA
I have a 9 year old chicken I adopted who has this odd looking toe. Another member of her flock who is 8yrs absolutely has bumblefoot in both feet that I currently am treating. I'm also treating both for scaly leg.

Any thoughts what this is?

1613876195577.png

Is she limping on that foot?
It looks like the nail snapped off or was damaged somehow. It looks swollen. Is there any odor? Do you know how long it's been like that?
If you are doing soaks for the SLM it will benefit that toe as well. I'd clean it well and pack some Stockholm hoof tar or Nu-stock where the nail used to be.

She's not limping, she can be a little stiff after getting up from standing, but seems to forage just fine. Here's another view. Tomorrow i'll get a better look at it (bring her into my bathroom with better lighting).

I think it's been likely going on for a while, I got her in mid-January with 7 other elderly birds and now that everyone is settled I'm starting to notice what's their "normal". She's getting up to the roost at night just fine and is laying an egg every other day (!! no artificial light in my coop). Also there is no odor.

IMG_2749.jpeg

She's not limping, she can be a little stiff after getting up from standing, but seems to forage just fine. Here's another view. Tomorrow i'll get a better look at it (bring her into my bathroom with better lighting).

I think it's been likely going on for a while, I got her in mid-January with 7 other elderly birds and now that everyone is settled I'm starting to notice what's their "normal". She's getting up to the roost at night just fine and is laying an egg every other day (!! no artificial light in my coop). Also there is no odor.

View attachment 2543049
As long as it isn't infected and she is otherwise acting normally, I'd leave it alone. Congrats to you for taking these girls in! Laying an egg every other day at 9? What a girl!! :love

As long as it isn't infected and she is otherwise acting normally, I'd leave it alone. Congrats to you for taking these girls in! Laying an egg every other day at 9? What a girl!! :love
spoke too soon, she's limping noticeably today so I've isolated her so i can examine her a little later today

Back
Top Bottom