Bumblefoot

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
7 month old d'uccle hen. Normal weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Bumblefoot on both feet

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I saw something last week but I thought it was just dirt. I saw it today

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no. Apart from the scab

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Normal feed, treats, grass and water

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
 normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
nothing

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'll see what I need to do then decide if a vet is necassary

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
below

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
hemp

20220601_134418_HDR.jpg
20220601_134423_HDR.jpg

That's classic bumblefoot, easily treated at home. As @GermanKennhuhn suggested, soak in warm Epsom salts to soften the scabs. Then take your finger or thumbnail and scrape off the scab. Almost always the pus kernel comes with it. There should only be a tiny pocket left with a little watery serum coating it.

Next step is to flush it well with soap and water or Betadine. Next, spray Vetericyn on it and let dry. Then put Neosporin ( or other wound ointment) on each wound, and bandage.

I use Vetrap elastic bandage cut into one inch wide strips by twenty inches long. To bandage, I use a non-stick gauze pad on the wound and wrap the foot securely but not tight enough to hamper circulation. To do a successful wrap so the chicken can't remove it, begin the wrap at the ankle and wrap downward and around each toe, and then wind back up to where you began, securing the stretch bandage by pressing firmly on the end so it is adhering to itself.

The patient may be returned to the flock. Check the wound in two days, and depending on stage of healing, the bandage may be either left off or renewed.

That's classic bumblefoot, easily treated at home. As @GermanKennhuhn suggested, soak in warm Epsom salts to soften the scabs. Then take your finger or thumbnail and scrape off the scab. Almost always the pus kernel comes with it. There should only be a tiny pocket left with a little watery serum coating it.

Next step is to flush it well with soap and water or Betadine. Next, spray Vetericyn on it and let dry. Then put Neosporin ( or other wound ointment) on each wound, and bandage.

I use Vetrap elastic bandage cut into one inch wide strips by twenty inches long. To bandage, I use a non-stick gauze pad on the wound and wrap the foot securely but not tight enough to hamper circulation. To do a successful wrap so the chicken can't remove it, begin the wrap at the ankle and wrap downward and around each toe, and then wind back up to where you began, securing the stretch bandage by pressing firmly on the end so it is adhering to itself.

The patient may be returned to the flock. Check the wound in two days, and depending on stage of healing, the bandage may be either left off or renewed.
Ok so I'll need to buy quite a lot of stuff
  1. epsom salts
  2. bedatine (or will soap just work?)
  3. vetericyn
  4. neosporin
  5. vetrap
  6. gauze pad

Elastoplast just keeps the wound from drying out. Plain Vaseline does as much. What you need is an antibiotic ointment. Triple antibiotic ointment, Neosporin are able to fight bacteria, so that's what you want.

Soap and water will work instead of Betadine, although I recommend getting it for your chicken first aid kit. It can treat more issues than anything else. Good for you family wound needs, as well.

Back
Top Bottom