Bumblefoot?

AnimalLover117

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
So I have done surgery on this chicken 2 times and her foot hasn't stopped swelling completely. Am I doing something wrong? Does it look like bumblefoot? (I have been treating it as bumblefoot)
1000003778.jpg
1000003776.jpg

It looks like bumblefoot to me. How have you been treating?
I have soaked her foot in Epsom salt and warm water a few times, I've done the surgery in her foot twice and afterwards I put neosporin on it and bandaged it up. I also have put peroxide over it.

I have soaked her foot in Epsom salt and warm water a few times, I've done the surgery in her foot twice and afterwards I put neosporin on it and bandaged it up. I also have put peroxide over it.
How often had you been changing over the bandages and reapplying the neosporin? Peroxide is good for a one time rinse, but it doesn't do a whole lot after that.

I'm probably not changing it enough then (1 or 2 a day usually). How many times a day should it be changed? I apply neosporin everytime the bandages are changed

Bumblefoot can take a while to heal. I change the bandage every other day unless it is raining, then more often so the foot doesn't stay damp. Were you able to remove a solidish core from foot?
Here are the instructions that I use for bumblefoot: https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/
I usually try to do as little extra damage to the foot as possible. However, I did have one girl who had swelling on the top of her foot similar to your picture. I could not get the core removed from the bottom of her foot, so, I bought a surgical scalpel and made a tiny incision over to swelling. I was then able to easily remove the core, coat the wound in neosporin and it healed fairly quickly after that.

The picture attached is what I pulled out the first time, which is why I didn't understand why there was still swelling. It has been a bit rainy which is probably part of the problem. Thanks for the link!

Bumblefoot can take a while to heal. I change the bandage every other day unless it is raining, then more often so the foot doesn't stay damp. Were you able to remove a solidish core from foot?
Here are the instructions that I use for bumblefoot: https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/
I usually try to do as little extra damage to the foot as possible. However, I did have one girl who had swelling on the top of her foot similar to your picture. I could not get the core removed from the bottom of her foot, so, I bought a surgical scalpel and made a tiny incision over to swelling. I was then able to easily remove the core, coat the wound in neosporin and it healed fairly quickly after that.
1000003292.jpg

That is a good sized core, but I have had a couple of cases of bumblefoot where I had to remove a core twice because it didn't heal the first time around. Hope your girl heals and feels better soon!

Back
Top Bottom