Bummer

Mermaid909

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
San Bernardino, California
WOW, what a bummer. One by one I have been giving away my chickens that I ordered from a hatchery. I got Delaware females, white orpington females, straight run buff orps and straight run golden laced Wyandottes. Well all the straight run birds were males so I let them go to a new home....no big deal I thought. Week 15 .. 3 of my Delaware girls and two white orps or crowing like crazy. Now I'm like, that's some really bad news, I only have 3 girls left. Today 21 weeks and I hear crowing. Oh no please let that be a neighbor's bird. GEEZ, my 2 beautiful white orpington hens turn out to be roos. The only girl I have left from the hatchery is a single Delaware. I was so excited about getting eggs soon. I just stood in by backyard crying ( I never thought I would be crying about chickens) :( . With my luck all the chicken babies that I'm hatching will turn out to be roos.

So sorry about the roos…. It is expected about 50% males:females in a hatch. But most who get straight runs seem to get more males. If you don't get the mix you want, try getting sex linked so you can be sure?

How disappointing! Yes, next time order pullets only. While you may still get one rooster, its better than all roosters! This is a good lesson to learn. Better luck next time!

I don't have chickens yet, however I've been reading about them daily, for months now. Trying to learn everything I can so I can provide for them properly. Delawares are my first choice for breeds, so you got lucky with only one left. They're harder to find, but worth the effort. I hope you have better luck in the future & end up with some more Delawares.

Back
Top Bottom