1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bummer

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mermaid909, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Mermaid909

Mermaid909 Out Of The Brooder

WOW, what a bummer. One by one I have been giving away my chickens that I ordered from a hatchery. I got Delaware females, white orpington females, straight run buff orps and straight run golden laced Wyandottes. Well all the straight run birds were males so I let them go to a new home....no big deal I thought. Week 15 .. 3 of my Delaware girls and two white orps or crowing like crazy. Now I'm like, that's some really bad news, I only have 3 girls left. Today 21 weeks and I hear crowing. Oh no please let that be a neighbor's bird. GEEZ, my 2 beautiful white orpington hens turn out to be roos. The only girl I have left from the hatchery is a single Delaware. I was so excited about getting eggs soon. I just stood in by backyard crying ( I never thought I would be crying about chickens) :( . With my luck all the chicken babies that I'm hatching will turn out to be roos.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    So sorry about the roos…. It is expected about 50% males:females in a hatch. But most who get straight runs seem to get more males. If you don't get the mix you want, try getting sex linked so you can be sure?

3. Mermaid909

The more I learn, the better. All I hope is my little Delaware is a darn good egg layer. I also will never order straight run unless it is the only option available.

4. newtnn

newtnn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2014
    Fennville, Michigan
    From what I've heard/read Delawares will make you happy as far as eggs go. (and they're pretty to boot)

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How disappointing! Yes, next time order pullets only. While you may still get one rooster, its better than all roosters! This is a good lesson to learn. Better luck next time!

6. Mermaid909

Yes, I figured I would get males and females with that order. I placed an order for all females to arrive in March.

7. Mermaid909

She is a really sweet bird, every time I'm in the yard she follows me around. Very cute.

8. shorttimer

shorttimer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    Morro Bay, Ca
    I don't have chickens yet, however I've been reading about them daily, for months now. Trying to learn everything I can so I can provide for them properly. Delawares are my first choice for breeds, so you got lucky with only one left. They're harder to find, but worth the effort. I hope you have better luck in the future & end up with some more Delawares.

9. Mermaid909

Thank you. :) My roos have been nice too, I just don't want them to fight with each other and I want the eggs, not alarm clocks.

10. Mermaid909

YEAH! Found a home for three of my roosters :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by