BUMP ON CHICKENS HEAD

jaimiesonic

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 10, 2014

This bump has been on her head since she was 2 weeks old. Shes 11 weeks old and the bump just keeps getting bigger. She acts fine doesn't seem to bother her. But im not sure what to do? I did ask my vet if she treats chickens and she does not. My friend said he could drain it. Should we try that?

Last edited:
What does the lump feel like? Is it hard, or soft and squishy? And does the hen show any other symptoms?

It could be some sort of abscess, or a benign growth. If it seems like it has something in it, draining it might certainly be helpful. Or, you could try giving the bird antibiotic injections and see if anything happens.

What does the lump feel like? Is it hard, or soft and squishy? And does the hen show any other symptoms?

It could be some sort of abscess, or a benign growth. If it seems like it has something in it, draining it might certainly be helpful. Or, you could try giving the bird antibiotic injections and see if anything happens.
X2

One of my birds once had a lump on it's head. It didn't look quite like this, however. I tried antibiotics, and it seemed to help. Unfortunately, she later died from what I believe was a respiratory infection.

Welcome to BYC. Since it has been there almost from birth, without evidence of a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, I would guess that the bump could be a hemangioma, cyst, or tumor. It it came on more recently, then I would suspect a respiratory disease that was causing a sinus infection or conjunctivitis, or possibly an abscess from a pecking wound that contains puss. It's a shame that it is growing so large.

Feed and farm stores have some antibiotics, such as Tylan, oxytetracycline, and tetracycline. for respiratory diseases, and in the refrigerated section, injectable procaine penicillin G for staph and wound infections. Vets can give somewhat better antibiotics for wounds such as clavamox, cephalexin, and Baytril which treats about anything. Baytril is banned in the US for chickens, but if you can get it from a vet, it is very good. With procaine pen G, you will need 4 syringes (3 cc or ml) and 4 needles (22 gauge. Procaine pen G is injected 1/4 inch deep into the breast muscle once a day for 4 days. Dosage is 1/4 ml or cc.

Wow! Thank you for all the help. I'll check the feed store tomorrow. Thank you, I hope this helps her.

Back
Top Bottom