Bump On My Chicken's leg! Please Help!

Chickensfan

Songster
Jun 26, 2016
California!
hello,
my Svart Hona has a small bump on his leg. it is small, and i know it isn't a sore. i am sure it can't be bumblefoot, it is on the chickens leg, and it doesn't seem to be limping. i don't know what this is. the chicken is too fast for me to catch. i have no idea what to do. please help! (i would add images if i could, but he is too fast.)
~Marie

hmmm....do you think it is a spur bud? if so, is there anything i can do to help it not hurt my chicken as it grows in? and, is there anything i can do to prevent the spur from hurting me?

hello,
my Svart Hona has a small bump on his leg. it is small, and i know it isn't a sore. i am sure it can't be bumblefoot, it is on the chickens leg, and it doesn't seem to be limping. i don't know what this is. the chicken is too fast for me to catch. i have no idea what to do. please help! (i would add images if i could, but he is too fast.)
~Marie

Quote:
Hi Marie,

A photo will be helpful
smile.png

If you can't catch him, you can wait until dark when he is roosting and then take a towel, drape it over him and gently remove him from the roost so you can take a picture.

If you think it's a spur coming in, there's nothing you can do. It will grow slowly and naturally and it most likely will not hurt him.
As far as spurs hurting you that is yet to be seen. Time will tell if he will become a human aggressive rooster, if he is you will need to make a reasonable decision whether to keep him or to get rid of him.

if i tried to get him at night, i would fail. my flock is very sharp, with 6 roos, who do NOT like to be woken up. when he gets older, can i clip his spur just in case? would that hurt him?
(he would never be aggressive to me. he follows me everywhere.)
thanks!
~Marie

if i tried to get him at night, i would fail. my flock is very sharp, with 6 roos, who do NOT like to be woken up. when he gets older, can i clip his spur just in case? would that hurt him?
(he would never be aggressive to me. he follows me everywhere.)
thanks!
~Marie

Some people do trim the spurs once they get long and sharp, there are numerous threads here on BYC and videos/info on the internet.

How old is he? It usually takes a good while for them to grow, so after a year/year and a half they make be long enough to see if they need to be trimmed.

thanks for your help! i will trim the spurs when they grow in all the way.(if that is necessary.) he is 3 months, and crows all morning. i only see buds though.
thanks!
~Marie

Back
Top Bottom