Bumpy Crops?

I_AmPairPair

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
I recently adopted three Aracauna Chicks. They are 1.5-2 months old and I still do not know their genders, though we suspect two females and one male do to size and behavior. They still live indoors, but they have been going outside since we adopted them at 2 weeks. Ar first they were eating the turf they live on, though I've tried stopping them everytime I notice. I regular check their crops and at first noticed that the largest, suspected male, had a bumpy-like crop starting from a few days ago. Online researching led to nothing, so I thought it was normal. Today I noticed, though, that the other two now have bumpy-like crops. I hope this is nothing, but I could really use some help.

I recently adopted three Aracauna Chicks. They are 1.5-2 months old and I still do not know their genders, though we suspect two females and one male do to size and behavior. They still live indoors, but they have been going outside since we adopted them at 2 weeks. Ar first they were eating the turf they live on, though I've tried stopping them everytime I notice. I regular check their crops and at first noticed that the largest, suspected male, had a bumpy-like crop starting from a few days ago. Online researching led to nothing, so I thought it was normal. Today I noticed, though, that the other two now have bumpy-like crops. I hope this is nothing, but I could really use some help.
Can you post a pic?

image.jpg
This is the feed.
image.jpeg
This is a suspected female. She was the last with a bumpy crop. She is usually off on her own when they are let out. She is the smallest.
image.jpeg
This is a suspected female, the second with a bumpy crop and the second biggest. She is always with the suspected male.
image.jpeg
This is the suspected male, the first with a bumpy crop.
image.jpeg
This is the turf
When you say "turf", is it artificial or grass/sod? Are they getting grit? What are you feeding them, assuming chick crumbles which is what you'd be feeling. Are they drinking?

The turf we use is artificial grass, we feed them to the exact Big Feeder Lay Feeds: A Complete Feed by StarMilling and a couple times a week we will give them mealworms. They also drink plenty of water, we usually have to refill it 2+ times a day along with the food which we refill about once a day. We do not feed them grit, though they will eat small rocks and grass when we let them out. We always watch and make sure they do not eat weeds.

Agreed, more information regarding turf. It's normal for chickens to eat grass and other vegetation. But, if your "turf" is sprayed with pesticides/herbicides, I would not allow them into that space. I would choose a section of the yard and not let that area get sprayed. As PP stated, they do need grit. Chicks do not require heat if they've been properly acclimated after the age of 4 - 5 weeks. Are you keeping them inside b/c you don't have a coop for them? Are you concerned about it being too hot for them? Or is there an other reason why you are keeping them inside? If you have a gravel driveway, you can give them a scoop of gravel, and they should be able to pick appropriate sized pieces of grit from the gravel. Or you can buy some from the feed store. Are their crops "bumpy" in the morning, after they've slept all night? You might find lots of useful information regarding housing, raising chicks, feeding, and all other topics in the learning center. Welcome to BYC, BTW!!!

If they are kept on that artificial turf, I would be extremely concerned. It's not possible for you to police them all the time, and that stuff will impact their crops, as well as possibly causing an intestinal blockage, or intestinal strangulation. Using such products around chickens is a HUGE safety risk.

The name of the feed you are using implies that it is a layer feed. That is also not recommended for birds of this age because of the extra calcium in the formulation. Layer feed is only for birds of laying age. They should be on starter, grower, or multi flock.

Welcome to BYC!

Agreed, more information regarding turf. It's normal for chickens to eat grass and other vegetation. But, if your "turf" is sprayed with pesticides/herbicides, I would not allow them into that space. I would choose a section of the yard and not let that area get sprayed. As PP stated, they do need grit. Chicks do not require heat if they've been properly acclimated after the age of 4 - 5 weeks. Are you keeping them inside b/c you don't have a coop for them? Are you concerned about it being too hot for them? Or is there an other reason why you are keeping them inside? If you have a gravel driveway, you can give them a scoop of gravel, and they should be able to pick appropriate sized pieces of grit from the gravel. Or you can buy some from the feed store. Are their crops "bumpy" in the morning, after they've slept all night? You might find lots of useful information regarding housing, raising chicks, feeding, and all other topics in the learning center. Welcome to BYC, BTW!!!
We are keeping them inside because they still do not have most of their adult feathers and I do not want them to freeze. We have a coop, but my father has to adjust it before it can be used. There are no pesticides that I am aware of in our yard and there are none at all on their turf. I checked their crops just now, but they were very hard to find for some reason. They are still bumpy-like except they are not as bumpy. Is it also irregular that they all huddle in one corner when they nap during the day, but do not go to sleep at night until usually after 11 pm? I watch them closely most of the time only when they are loose in the backyard because I have a cat and do not want them eating weeds. What we feed them my dad was told to get by the petshop he adopted them from. What do you recommend we use for the flooring while they are indoors? We tried wood shavings, but it made too big of a mess.

Last edited:
It is normal for them to huddle together for naps. But, they really need to be living outside. My chicks live outside, and are brooded outside in their coop. They wean themselves off heat completely by the time they are 5 weeks old, while the night time temps often still go below freezing. If they are living inside where the lights are on, it is understandable that they would not be going to sleep until very late. If this is the case, that would be a concern also. Your chicks, while still sprouting feathers are feathered enough that they can and should be living outside. And, I would immediately get them off that artificial turf.

It is normal for them to huddle together for naps. But, they really need to be living outside. My chicks live outside, and are brooded outside in their coop. They wean themselves off heat completely by the time they are 5 weeks old, while the night time temps often still go below freezing. If they are living inside where the lights are on, it is understandable that they would not be going to sleep until very late. If this is the case, that would be a concern also. Your chicks, while still sprouting feathers are feathered enough that they can and should be living outside. And, I would immediately get them off that artificial turf.

Is it okay for them to be outside even if one still does not have most of their adult feathers? Somebody told me that they would freeze outside if they did not have them. Also will the bumpy crop probably go away once I start feeding them grit?

what are the temps right now where you live? Are they still under a heat lamp in your house? yes, get them grit, and get them off the artificial turf if they've been trying to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom