Bunch of candling development pics!

IMG_20200616_221614.jpg

Nothing new to report on candling, just everything getting more full. I'm setting up lockdown a bit early, want to make sure I have a handle on my humidity and in case any of the small eggs want to pop early I'd rather be ready sooner than later. Weighed and checked them all, they seem to be doing well, all pretty similar now. Clear movement in 12/14, though I didn't look for long I marked the ones I didn't see it in, see if they do turn out to be quitters.
IMG_20200616_223423.jpg

The weights are right on track with my napkin math goals, none more than a gram off and my scale is at best only accurate to the gram. Some of them do not look like it tho, even with similar weight loss there's a bit of variation in the progress of the air cell. It'll be interesting to see if that ends up meaning anything too.

Hah I went back and checked those quiet two and they were just asleep, they're kicking now! Ugh I also burned a new ventilation hole in the Styrofoam, so between that and the water and the platform being a bit higher in the incubator the whole balance of things is thrown off haha. Gotta get a fan for next time. :p

I shouldn't touch them, but my incubator holds humidity pretty well and I wanna. No pips yet, even tomorrow would be pretty early for them.
IMG_20200617_204624.jpg

Lots of movement on the air cells today as drawdown begins. Some more so than others- egg three is still kicking back with feet exactly where they were yesterday, but!
IMG_20200617_205232.jpg

That shape is not a foot! Somma these babies are thinking about haaatching!

Aaaaaaaa
We have pips!
Here's 11 last night!
IMG_20200617_204758.jpg

And now!
IMG_20200618_070444.jpg

And we have this!
IMG_20200618_070801.jpg

I didn't notice the pip until I'd picked it up, but I was quick and things are moist, I'll keep an eye on little #9 tho. Was not expecting a pip this soon, and I got three, one external. All in largish eggs too. Egg #3 is still chillin, btw. In noooo hurry haha.

There's been a bit of rocking, a bit of pipping, and a lot of peeping! Seems like a louder chorus every time.
IMG_20200618_231626.jpg

#9 is still resting, but four other eggs have cracks, tho some are pretty small, not sure if they count as a proper pip. They're not rocking a lot, but they're not able to much either. I got some good wiggles playing mama hen sounds at them, and then a lot of peeps when I turned it off!
This was a bit more action than I was expecting for day 19, possibly I've been running a touch hot. Wouldn't be surprised, I was aiming for 100 degrees more to have a goal that's easy to discern at a glance through my initial murky plastic view window(quick switched to this acrylic when I sent into lockdown) than because I calculated it based on my thermometers relative height to the eggs.

We're almost done!
I'm gonna have a 12/14 hatch! Way better than I was preparing myself for, I'm pretty chuffed. I almost got two dozen eggs because I figured I'd for sure hatch less than 50%.
The two I lost were malpositioned. And were eggs I'd worried about before, too, which is interesting. Haven't fully opened them up, but cracked the shell at air pocket to see what's up because candling looked very different from the eggs that did hatch. Both had the head out of sight, down between the legs. Full veins, no way to pip, no way for me to help without bleeding them out. Quite possibly a heat issue, with the rest of the hatch done at the beginning of day 21 I was definitely running warm. Or a temp fluctuation issue. Or something else, those two eggs are ones that have looked a bit off to me since ~day 10, tho I can't put a finger on it.
Pictures of the fluffy hatch incoming.

Back
Top Bottom