bunny drinking lots of water and more accidents

ali04

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Hey, I am still kind of new to the bunny world. My bunny is a boy and an unknown breed. He will be a year in February. He still eats alpha hay which I know can cause issues in the long term and I have been trying to find hay where I live that is not alpha but is hard to do. I am afraid that his alpha has already led to kidney issues. He has been drinking more water than usual and has had two ascendants within a month of each other. I don't have the finances to neuter him but other than some poops around his room he never has had accidents before. I don't know if this is normal, I am going to weigh him tomorrow to make sure he is still in weight he was roughly 8 pounds the last time I weighed him. If anyone has any ideas of what is going on or way to help, please let me know.

Is it hot where you guys and he lives? Where is he getting his water from? (water bottle, bowl, etc..) How much water is he drinking? What kind of food and how much is he being fed? Is he being more active, how big is he? Is there anything that can be stressing him out? Rabbits are prey animals and don't always show when they're in pain or scared, so they're hard to read. Track if the urine looks normal and if there is more or less of it. Note: Rabbits, especially unneutered rabbits, can have a translucent, pale yellow, brown, and dark red color to their urine. A cloudy look in urine can mean they're not getting the water they need. "Alfalfa Hay can be fed to growing rabbits because their requirements for protein, energy, and calcium are higher than what an adult rabbit needs. Alfalfa Hay shouldn't be fed to adult rabbits because it contains too much protein and calcium and prolonged consumption may result in kidney damage." I suggest not feeding Alfalfa Hay anymore but adding more veggies, grass, and his regular pellets to his diet in a healthy amount. You can get little cups of grass or get grass seeds and grow it yourself and feed it to him. Cat Grass is okay to feed but he'll definitely need the hay after a while so don't try to just feed the grasses. Avoid grass from outside because it might not be safe for him to consume. (make sure it's just pellets, no added treats or sees in the foods.) We purchase hay from local farms in which we get large amounts for less than the small bags you get at the store. Make sure he has rabbit-friendly toys that he can chew to keep his teeth from overgrowing. Do you have a photo of what he looks like? I hope I can help!

Last edited:
Hey, I was finally able to find a close farm place that sold timothy hay. He isn't the biggest fan of it, but I am trying to make sure he eats it. He did not drink a ton of water today. His poop is normal color and size. I just weighed him at 9.8 pounds. He lives indoors, but his room is probably 70 degrees so not very hot. His personality has not changed at all he is still super active and cuddly. It could have been a freak accident kind of thing, but I rather be safe than sorry and know how to tell if there was a deeper issue. I have to see what pellets he has, but overall, he eats the same and is the same active. This is a picture I just took of him, and if you have toy suggestions can you please send them I never know what ones are the safest. Oh, and if you have suggestions of veggies, I never know what's safe to give him every day, but i do give him Boston lettuce every day or every other day. he also gets fruit on occasion and other veggies as well. Any advice is welcomed!

Attachments

• IMG_6528.jpeg
    IMG_6528.jpeg
    849.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom