Bunny rabbit as 'flock protector' ?

I used to raise rabbits. Including Flemish Giants. The predation problems with rabbits is every bit as bad with rabbits as chickens. They too are prey animals. The Flemish and giant Lops are slow and clumsy. A checkered Giant is generally faster and more agile, but still no match for a predator. None of the domestic rabbits have the speed and wariness of wild rabbits, which is their only protection. Its bred out of them. I've had 'feisty' rabbits, just like you get feisty hens and roosters that will "go at you." (Even more insulting, is after they lunge and slap and spat at you, sometimes swing around and "let go" the other end, and SPRAY you, lol) They are still not a match for predators.

But the pig idea....now THAT one just might be worth considering, lol! I have also raised hogs...they ARE bold and fearless and can be extremely intimidating and threatening. Not much would stand up to a pig....sure, a pack of big dogs can overwhelm and kill little piglets, but generally, they are pretty predator proof. And yes, very territorial and defensive. And VERY NOISY when upset, angry, insulted, offended, inconvenienced or just ****** off..

Last edited:
I was also about to suggest a flemish giant rabbit. They are HUGE when full grown and if you get a buck it will be territorial and make predator birds think twice.

Wow ! Where did you find that teeny collie? Very cute.
My experience with mixing predators with bunnies and poultry is mixed...
Two bunnies killed , a dozen chicks eliminated, a pet cat disappeared, and two Muscovy ducks snatched up most recently.
The chicks were victims of a pair of Turkey vultures, but the rest were all from a nearby family of coyotes.
So the coyotes took the rabbits as easily as they did the ducks.
Get yourself some good fencing and a 20 GA and don't rely on bunnies for protection.
( 20GA has less kick than a 12GA and not so much noise to alert neighbors. )
And... as for using pigs as guard animals- anything that can kill and consume a rattlesnake with no ill affects
would probably look at chickens as snacks.
Lets hear from some of you homesteaders--- ever lose hens or poultry to a hungry porker??????

Two bunnies killed , a dozen chicks eliminated, a pet cat disappeared, and two Muscovy ducks snatched up most recently.
The chicks were victims of a pair of Turkey vultures, but the rest were all from a nearby family of coyotes.
Get yourself some good fencing and a 20 GA and don't rely on bunnies for protection.
And... as for using pigs as guard animals- anything that can kill and consume a rattlesnake with no ill affects
Lets hear from some of you homesteaders--- ever lose hens or poultry to a hungry porker??????

I don't think I ever lost chickens to my hogs, but I have heard others that did, do, unless the pig is fenced outside the chicken pen, i guess that's not gonna work.
The tiny collie...its a Shelti, my daughter has one, they are the sweetest dogs, and they might just do a good job against things like hawks. If you can pry themaway from people and convince them to hang out with non-human creatures....that might be hard to do,lol!

That's a beautful Flemish! I had some years ago, but they just didn't handle this hot climate down here well. But really liked their mostly good dispostions, and they ARE impressive.

I was also about to suggest a flemish giant rabbit. They are HUGE when full grown and if you get a buck it will be territorial and make predator birds think twice.

Back
Top Bottom