buried chickenwire to prevent digging?

GoodEgg

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
NW Florida
Hello all,

I need to finish up the coop/run asap, because my boss needs her tools back.
smile.png

Also, we lost a gerbil last night to ANOTHER snake that got into the house and this one ate a pet in it's cage. So snakes are definitely a problem, but hopefully the chickens will be large enough to be safe? We do have some bantams though.

What I need to know is this: I can't afford to make a wooden floor to the coop. Will it work if I attach chicken wire (the hex wire type) on the bottom and pile their litter on that, in order to prevent diggers?

Another option is to put hardware cloth around the edges (say a foot or so in) and then poultry wire in the center? Or would I *need* a center as long as I put wire around the edges?

I'm not talking about burying the wire, but rather about attaching the wire as a coop floor. The chickens wouldn't really be walking on it as I plan to cover it with straw or something.

OH! And I also thought of someday putting rabbits in with the chickens. Does anyone know if my plan will or will not work, given that information? Not sure if I will be able to do this really as I know rabbits sometimes gnaw wood?

Thanks!

trish

I can't think right off hand what it was but I used to work with Emu's and there was something that we spread around the barn where the youngin's and the hot house where the babies were that kept out snakes. We were curing a rattle snake and cow snake problem. It worked but I can't remember what it was called maybe you could check with you local farm / feed store and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks. I was thinking last night there might be something I can put out for the snakes. I'm a little upset with them right now because my daughter gets very attached to her pets and is hurt by Frisky being eaten by a snake.

Snakes are NOT my favorite animals right now! (As if they ever were ... )

I will ask at the feed store and search online if there is something that will keep them away. I sure wish I knew how they are getting into the house. This is the 2nd one in a few weeks' time, and these are pretty big snakes coming in! (6-7 feet!)

Does anyone have any idea about the wire floors for the chicken coop, btw?

Thanks again!
trish

Thanks,

I have wondered if there are minks or weasels of any sort (small ones) around here. I think they dig, and that would make more of a problem too.

I wish I could just get a dog.
big_smile.png

Thanks again!
trish

My DH just finished our coop and he built it the same way he built our rabbit cage a couple years ago. He dug a trench about six inches or so deep and about a foot wide all around the perimeter, then stuck the bottom of the wire fence in the trench. Then he pours that concrete powder stuff into the trench. (It turns into concrete when it gets wet, I think it's called Sakrete or something. He's asleep so I can't ask him.) So the bottom of the wire is buried in concrete. He says animals don't realize they could back up a foot and dig under it. It's kept our bunny safe for years.
That way you don't have the bother of chicken wire on the floor of the coop. Hope this helps.
caf.gif

I've seen snake repellent on line, you might want to look into that - not sure if its safe to use around chickens, or even if it works.... just throght I'd throw that out there!

Back
Top Bottom