Burned up feathers?

Yetti

Songster
11 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Grass Lake / Chelsea,Mi
well my wife did the " they are gunna get cold" thing putting human needs on the animals. she asked me to put broder lights in the pens to add some heat. I hung them about 36" high. well my one big goose "King Kong" must have pecked at the light all night? he is tore up today, he has mangled feathers and nicks in his beak and forehead. if I didn't know better it looks as if he was rubbing his head directly on the bulb? he looked pretty bad when I got home today and was half temped to bring him in the house. he got a bath in the pool and shook out his feathers some but if you look past the ruffed up feathers his skin looks real red. hope he isn't burned.

well my wife did the " they are gunna get cold" thing putting human needs on the animals. she asked me to put broder lights in the pens to add some heat. I hung them about 36" high. well my one big goose "King Kong" must have pecked at the light all night? he is tore up today, he has mangled feathers and nicks in his beak and forehead. if I didn't know better it looks as if he was rubbing his head directly on the bulb? he looked pretty bad when I got home today and was half temped to bring him in the house. he got a bath in the pool and shook out his feathers some but if you look past the ruffed up feathers his skin looks real red. hope he isn't burned.

Can you get a product called Vetericyn? TSC has it it comes in a spray and is for infection and wounds, I think you would be able to treat him and there won't be added pain, this stuff is great. I hope he heals quickly for you. Geese don't need extra heat.

Can you get a product called Vetericyn? TSC has it it comes in a spray and is for infection and wounds, I think you would be able to treat him and there won't be added pain, this stuff is great. I hope he heals quickly for you. Geese don't need extra heat.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering what if anything I could do for him. he is in tough shape. my son said the two other boys were beating on him this morning in the coop.

as for adding heat? that was my wife's idea. I know better then to fool with mother nature.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering what if anything I could do for him. he is in tough shape. my son said the two other boys were beating on him this morning in the coop.

as for adding heat? that was my wife's idea. I know better then to fool with mother nature.

If you get the vetericyn spray it everywhere he is burned, even his face it won't burn or sting. And I wouldn't let him be with the others till he is feeling and looking better. I sure hope he makes it they are tough birds but burns can cause infection, another reson for getting the vetericyn... please keep us updated on how he is doing..

I bought a huge bottle. it was $23 for a 4oz. or $30 for a 12oz. I figure I'll be seeing injuries again with this bunch.
right now they are bathing. I have the hose running in the pool so it doesn't freeze out and they are getting cleaned up pretty good. after they dry out and get ready for bed I will spray him down. as for getting along they have hung out all day and haven't fought. so all things considered he must be doing better?

highfive.gif
good to hear, please keep up the updates..

I bought a huge bottle. it was $23 for a 4oz. or $30 for a 12oz. I figure I'll be seeing injuries again with this bunch.
right now they are bathing. I have the hose running in the pool so it doesn't freeze out and they are getting cleaned up pretty good. after they dry out and get ready for bed I will spray him down. as for getting along they have hung out all day and haven't fought. so all things considered he must be doing better?

He was a bit hard to get hold of ,but I held on the base of his neck and sprayed him down pretty good. I'll get him again in the morning. supposed to rain tomorrow here.

I've noticed that about my geese, they like to " kick a man when he's down". When one get bullied and beat up, I seperate them until he gets back to normal. I'd keep an eye on the situation. they can be ruthless.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom