Burning Shavings...

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
I've about run out of room to keep old shavings to go on the garden. I was thinking about burning them. Has anybody tried this? If so, what kind of a rig do you use to keep the fire from being snuffed out?

Why convert something valuable into air pollution?
tongue.png
There are always lots of gardeners who would LOVE to have free compost materials, try advertising on craigslist/freecycle/etc and word of mouth.

Have fun,

Pat

Use it to fertilize your Grass outside. It doesn't burn well and it smells very bad. I would just spread it out all over the yard or start a new compost pile for next year.

I send mine through a leaf shreader----a leaf blower that can be reversed--and blow the mix out. This makes the 'mix' quite chopped up, and decomposes quicker. Just but your pile in different areas, and blow it all over the place. I think this straw. pine shavings, and chicken poo is a good lawn mix. My lawn is 'fair' which is better than the 'poor' the neighbors have.

Please don't burn them. They will put huge amounts of air pollution--even burning clean, dry seasoned firewood puts out tons of air pollution including toxics and particulate matter. Shavings will also throw up mold spores and other goodies. Also, it might not be legal in your state. Here in Ohio, it is not.

Since you say you don't have the space to keep them, have you thought about advertising them free for the taking on Craig's List or something similar? I have a really big garden, and the chicks don't provide enough poop for it. I find people with horses giving away poop on CL and go pick it up. Good for me, good for them.

p.s. I work for the Environmental Protection Agency here, so if you really want the litany of what nasty stuff burning wood throws into the air, let me know. Suffice it to say, it isn't the clean process people assume it to be.

Sunshine, I only think of burning as an easy way out. It's how we're raised around here. Everybody has "recycling barrels" in their back yard.... It's just become a way of life. Is it right? No.

Max,
since no one wants you to burn them, what about flushing them down the toliet?
smile.png
Just a thought as I sit here warming by the "real" fireplace, not the fake gas one.
Steve in NC

Now let me preface the by saying that we live out in the country on a small acerage. I usally spread the bedding around my oak trees. I think it helps the mast crop. I use goat poop in my garden. Easy pick up and no smell. We have one of those recycling barrels too. I had to use it today as a matter of fact.

Am I the only one that has ever burned shavings? We piled them on the garden area and spread them out. We set them on fire early in the morning after soaking the ground around the perimeter and let it burn. It blazed up at first and then died back. We kept stirring it to expose new areas and by evening it was all burned down. From there we watered it well and added some soil and compost. For a first year garden it was terrific.

Steve, quit hoggin' the fire!!

Quote:
I don't normally say anything negative on here, but when some one who works for a govt. agency tells me how bad it is to do something I've been doing for a long, long time and it works fine for me, I have to say something
Every time you guys (The Govt) launches one of their Shuttles there is more "nasty stuff" thrown into the air than I'll ever produce in my life time.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Back
Top Bottom