1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Burying Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by City Cajun, Jan 13, 2012.

1. City Cajun

City Cajun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    I have nine hens with one of them being an Americauna laying green eggs. She's an inconsistant layer but, the strange thing I find her doing is burying her eggs in a corner of the pen. Is this strange or do some breeds do this. When I go to pick up eggs in the evening and don't see a green egg in th laying box I take a small rake and rake over that corner to sometimes find an egg and sometimes not. On occaision she will even just lay on the bare ground.

2. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Sounds really strange. I have no idea what to tell you! lol, maybe she has some dinosaur in her afterall!

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Ours have buried the golf balls used to entice them into the nest. I think they just don't want to sit on frozen balls. ( It's cold here.)

4. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    My EE often buries her eggs. I had no idea she had started laying until there were 12 of them in the coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by