But WHY are they hard to hatch? Pic added!

I have hatched muscovys in the 'bator for years and I think they are really easy. I never knew they were supposed to be hard. If I did I probably wouldn't have done so well that first time way back when.. lol

GREAT JOB!!!
ya.gif
I have been getting more and more successful with each chicken egg hatch but don't have hardly any experience with waterfowl yet. I was just given 2 duck eggs and 3 goose eggs from a relative, were put in bator a few days ago. My one female goose, decided to build her a little nest and set. Wow that was luck!
wee.gif
So I took my goose eggs out of the bator and put them under her, she took them in without a hitch. Candled my two duck eggs last night, they look empty.
hit.gif
However, I'm looking forward to next summer. I have 6 white peking, 2 khaki campbell, 2 ancona, 3 rouen and 4 muscovy babies that should provide me with some babies next year all by themselves.
love.gif
That is if they survive til them, lots of predators around here and once they get grown I put them out in our pond where they're at natures mercy when I'm not outside. So far so good with the pekings, the others are not big enough to let out yet. Keeping my fingers crossed on the 3 goose eggs I put under our female emden, also have 2 emden babies that I'm hoping one will be a male. I am debating on whether or not to try some waterfowl eggs or even peacock eggs, got some turkey eggs coming. I know how heartbreaking it is to have something you really want not develop or even worse to start developing and then not finish. But look at you, nothing is impossible. Wish you all the luck in the future. Sorry it's so long, I always write novels.
duc.gif

taraann81;
May I turn your question around? Please tell us as much as possible about how you achieved your success. I for one would like to hear any details you would be willing to share. Might help some of the rest of us figure out how to do it better. Thanks,

Jim

Dirt road, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I just followed directions. This was my first time incubating and I hadn't realized that Muscovies were hard to hatch until I put them in the incubator. It was a little disheartening to hear how difficult they were. Anyways I followed the advice I was given on here and in the instructions that came with my bator (2362n). I had the temp around 101 I was lucky and had no major spikes or dips. I sprinkled them with water (when I remembered) but I did not do the cool down period. I stopped turning at day 18 and upped the humidity to 70%. I perhaps was a little antsy and worried about them suffocating after internally pipping but before externally pipping, so if I noticed one had internally pipped and not externally pipped by about a day and a half later I poked a small hole in the large end of the egg. I may have had beginners luck but thats okay with me.
I handled my eggs alot and candled often so I guess at least with 'scovies this isn't detrimental.
I wish I knew why I had such a successful hatch, if I knew what it was I would be only too happy to share it with everyone who has been so helpful to me.

I said they were almost impossible to hatch. Not impossible. It is tough for most people. If you have your bator really dialed in and geared toward ducks i guess you have a better chance. And sometimes it's a matter of luck good or bad.

Yes a typo sorry day 32 I stopped turning.
Danny yes I know you said almost, I agree I had a good deal of luck!

Back
Top Bottom