Butcher Without Evisceration

buffbrahmaboy

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
North Okanagan, BC CA
My Coop
My Coop
I have two cockerels still alive from my last batch of day-olds. I should have processed them months ago with the rest but didn't and now it's cold out. I'm going to get rid of them but can't use the scalding pot or outside water source right now so picking and safe evisceration would be difficult. I'd rather not waste the entire bird, though.

I've heard that one can partially skin the feathered carcass, without evisceration, to harvest the breast, leg & thigh, and wing meat. The rest of the carcass is then discarded. Anyone know how to do this?

I have two cockerels still alive from my last batch of day-olds. I should have processed them months ago with the rest but didn't and now it's cold out. I'm going to get rid of them but can't use the scalding pot or outside water source right now so picking and safe evisceration would be difficult. I'd rather not waste the entire bird, though.

I've heard that one can partially skin the feathered carcass, without evisceration, to harvest the breast, leg & thigh, and wing meat. The rest of the carcass is then discarded. Anyone know how to do this?
Here is a video:

This is how I do deer sometimes, if the weather doesn't warrant hanging for a while (Texas winters are not consistent). Basically cutting away the meat from the carcass and leaving the rib cage and stomach area intact results in meat in cooler and the remaining carcass is the "bag" for the discard.

Awesome video link BCMaraniac.

I've done it quite often and it's the easiest way to butcher....just a slice up the middle to expose the breast, remove. Slice laterally on either side....the total cuts will look like a cross shape. Shuck down the drawers and move it back towards the back of the hip. Remove leg at the hip, shuck down that skin a little more to cut off at the knee joint. Breast, thighs and legs. The rest of the bird is still attached in one piece and can be discarded as such.

It's done! From two cockerels I wound up with 4 lbs of ground chicken meat from breasts, thighs, and legs. Thanks for the video link, BCMaraniac. It was awesome but I modified the technique somewhat. I found skinning the back of the birds difficult so left the skin and feathers bunched behind while I dressed the breast and thigh/leg. I also had issues with de-gloving the wings so only did it once (not much meat) then snipped off the others. Although sawing through the backbone and breaking off the pelvis looks intriguing, I didn't like the way the anus was torn from the intestine. Plus I stopped skinning once the legs were de-gloved, so simply broke the thighs out of their sockets to dress them individually. This left the vent intact and there was no feces noticeable. I think overall it was a valuable technique to learn. Quite wasteful, but so is feeding excess cockerels past their prime.

Back
Top Bottom