Butchering Cull Cockerels Today

we are new at keeping chickens- they are dual purpose but i am a bit ambivalent at the thought of culling them when the time comes. My husband will do it but Im feeling strange about it. Any advice or words of wisdom from the experienced?
Approach it with the reverence it deserves- these animals were purposed to provide your family its necessary sustenance at the expense of their lives. Raise them with care, cull them humanely and don't waste. I use almost everything except the intestines- blood and feathers are tilled into the garden, lungs, spleens, gizzards go to the dogs, necks, hearts and livers are bagged and frozen for gravies and broths. Feet and wingtips are dog treats. Heads, crops and intestines go into the burn barrel.

I pray in thanksgiving beforehand as I set up the processing table and set the scalding pot to hear. I pray in gratefulness for each bird in the freezer.

blood and feathers are tilled into the garden, lungs, spleens, gizzards go to the dogs, necks, hearts and livers are bagged and frozen for gravies and broths. Feet and wingtips are dog treats. Heads, crops and intestines go into the burn barrel.
Is there a reason you don't feed the heads, crops, and intestines to the dogs as well?

I use almost everything except the intestines- blood and feathers are tilled into the garden, lungs, spleens, gizzards go to the dogs, necks, hearts and livers are bagged and frozen for gravies and broths. Feet and wingtips are dog treats. Heads, crops and intestines go into the burn barrel.
I part mine with the drumsticks, thighs, breasts and drumsticks frozen to go to my table. The bones form those after eating are saved to make broth. The neck, back, feet, gizzard, and heart are frozen to make broth. The crop, intestines, lungs, gonads, fat, and some other parts are fed back to the chickens. The dogs get the liver. The head, feathers, and whatever is left get buried in the garden. I skin mine instead of pluck so the skin goes in the garden as well. The only thing that goes to the landfill is the bones, and that is only after they are used for broth.

I used my hot water heater set at 150 to process 4 birds. I did two 4lb birds at a time and changed the hot water for the next two. I put two birds in an empty pot and filled it with hot water, straight from my faucet and set the timer for 2 minutes. The feathers came right off in my plucker. I am glad I found out about this......................no more poop water brine.

Last edited:
I just got a Breville Smart Oven in the mail. I will roast a 4 month old - 4lbs hen at 325F for 1.30 hours and see how the texture compare to a 3 month old cockerel. My 3 month old cockerels were tender and 4lbs at that age. I let their sisters, catch up to 4lbs for a month longer.

Last edited:
I part mine with the drumsticks, thighs, breasts and drumsticks frozen to go to my table. The bones form those after eating are saved to make broth. The neck, back, feet, gizzard, and heart are frozen to make broth. The crop, intestines, lungs, gonads, fat, and some other parts are fed back to the chickens. The dogs get the liver. The head, feathers, and whatever is left get buried in the garden. I skin mine instead of pluck so the skin goes in the garden as well. The only thing that goes to the landfill is the bones, and that is only after they are used for broth.
That's awesome! However, the bones are made into bone meal very easily for the garden, too. Bake at a low temp and then grind up using a cheap grinder or a plastic bag and mallet.

Really seems to help the onions and garlic :)

That's awesome! However, the bones are made into bone meal very easily for the garden, too. Bake at a low temp and then grind up using a cheap grinder or a plastic bag and mallet.

Really seems to help the onions and garlic :)
Doesn't it draw animals to dig in the garden?
I have troubles with eggshells and bone meal getting dug up. I have to put it on top when there's no crops so they can did without damaging crops

Doesn't it draw animals to dig in the garden?
My garden is fenced so I can keep dogs, coyotes, and such out. I bury the stuff deep enough, a little over a foot at the shallowest, so other critters can't smell it. I bury it in an area I will not be digging in for two or three months so it has time to rot and become compost.

When I buried it in the orchard I had to cover it with wire mesh to keep dogs and coyotes out.

Back
Top Bottom