Butchering for first time- tips?

I did 3 of mine today. I still have more to do but the water wasn't hot enough to do more. I'm glad to know I CAN do it, but after this batch I think I'll try to find a butcher to do it.

I butcher any extra/mean roos and I must admit that the first time was incredibly painful. We use a sharpened hatchet and a large block of wood. A feed bag with a cut corner works really well and also keeps them from flailing around so much both before and after the deed is done. Putting them on their backs calms even the most ornery roosters, but the difficult part is getting them in that position when they are trying to fight you. Good luck and remember that you are doing the right thing. An aggressive rooster is both unacceptable and downright dangerous.

I have never heard of the feed bag method, I do like the idea. I think you could hang the feed bag with the head hanging down, and have both hands free. I have used a 4 ft handled fish net. Easier to catch the rooster. If you are doing it tomorrow, go down tonight, and pull him off the roost and place in a box or small cage. Chasing them is tough, especially when you are already nervous. None of us like to do this, and it does take a bit of courage to do there first one. But it can be done. I slit the throats, using a banded razor blade, you need a sharp blade. They hardly notice, just get rather tired. Not so much flapping.

Don't take this personally, but here it goes:

Buck up, buttercup, and don't half ass it! Your adrenaline will be pumping, and you will want to hesitate. Don't!! You will only cause yourself and the chicken more stress.

If you can have a partner, even better. Person one catches and hangs the chicken. Person 2, walks up and cuts. Person one can talk to, coddle, whisper, and calm the chicken.

Here's a helpful link: http://howtobutcherachicken.blogspot.com/2017/

Good luck.

How did it go?

We did 7 last weekend. Opened the coop and took the ones as they came down the ramp. Lots of posts and hints and tricks. Just takes time figuring out how you want to do it.

Best wishes! And be proud that you decided to do it yourself.

How did it go?

We did 7 last weekend. Opened the coop and took the ones as they came down the ramp. Lots of posts and hints and tricks. Just takes time figuring out how you want to do it.

Best wishes! And be proud that you decided to do it yourself.
I haven't done it yet :oops: I was planning on doing it today, but it is starting to look like I won't have enough time. I will try to see if I have time after work over the week, but if not, I will do it next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom