Butchering for first time- tips?

*hugs* It won't be easy, but once done, it's done.

Consider covering the chickens eyes first? I do that to calm chickens that are having a tough time (in general).
Good idea! That's what I was thinking about doing it when it's dark so they can't see. But then I couldn't as well...
Once I do it I won't have to watch my back anymore when I walk outside. That would be really great. That's something to look forwards to and good motivation to go ahead and do it.

If you do it after work, the sun will be setting fast. Have everything set up the night before and waiting so you won't be running around to set up stuff.

We did it first thing so the innards would be empty. Less mess.

You could segregate and feed him a bit (partial ration) in the morning and he'll be ready when you get home. It will take longer than you think. First time always does. Since you are only doing one, after plucking, you can bring everything inside. Important tip - cool the meat down as soon as possible.

Step one - start the scald water heating. This is what I was waiting on.

Cheers, hugs and best wishes!

If you do it after work, the sun will be setting fast. Have everything set up the night before and waiting so you won't be running around to set up stuff.

We did it first thing so the innards would be empty. Less mess.

You could segregate and feed him a bit (partial ration) in the morning and he'll be ready when you get home. It will take longer than you think. First time always does. Since you are only doing one, after plucking, you can bring everything inside. Important tip - cool the meat down as soon as possible.

Step one - start the scald water heating. This is what I was waiting on.

Cheers, hugs and best wishes!
Thank you. Yes, I was planning on setting up tonight and my goal is to do it tomorrow. That may or may not happen.

Just a couple more tips. Mine come off of feed at noon the day before, are moved to a small crate near the area for processing the evening before. Basically, they go without water for about 8-12 hours so the crop is empty when you work.

After you chill the bird in ice water, hold it in the fridge for 24-48 hours before freezing or keep it in the cooler with ice water. It will give you a more tender chicken.

You've gotten good advice here. I do it differently but I have professional equipment. For those who doing more than a few birds, renting a plucker is a blessing.

Also its important to remove the oil gland on the top of the tail. Here's a link to a video for cleaning the bird. It takes you through the whole process I use, so you may want to fast forward to the part after the feathers are removed. BTW, Your scald temp should be about 155 degrees.

Best of luck.

Oops, also wanted to post the video.
This is the only Cervical Dislocation video I found that does not remove the head.
When slaughtering for meat, I prefer to slit the carotid and jugular(and not esophagus and trachea) so bird bleeds out well. But for euthanasia of a bird I do not intend to eat, CD is the way to go.

Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
it's the only CV video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck , this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

I have everything set up an ready to go. I went out to go get him and he was not cooperating. I spent about an hour trying to get him to come to me and all o got in return was some flogging. (I was luckily wearing high boots) I am going to do it tonight when the sun is beginning to set and I can pick him up off the roost. That way he will be calmer and I will still be able to see. The actual deed should only be 2-5 mins so I can just take him inside after. :hit
Or the other option is I can get him tonight and put him in a cage and do it tomorrow after church. (Around 1)

Back
Top Bottom