Butchering older birds - is it worth it?

We took 8 older birds to butcher last year.I tried many different ways of cooking, stringy and tough, though tasty. The last time I cooked one, i thawed it for 3-4 days. Used a poultry rub and cooked I crockpot on high for an hour and then low most of the day. It was falling apart. Then something happened (can't remember the small family drama) but we left the house to run an errand and ended up out later and grabbed a bite to eat on way home. I cooled the chicken, tore meat off of it and saved it for next day. I then made THE BEST chicken enchiladas. The meat was rich. I cut it into 1 inch stringy pieces and then cooked my normal throw together enchiladas,and there was a huge difference. We loved it this way, just don't plan on a grocery store roast chicken experience. Good luck!

We make chicken spaghetti, king ranch casserole, or some other dish like that with our older birds. Yes they are tougher but I normally put them in a pot for 4 hours or so cool and then shred. Shred will help take out the stringiness.

Thanks everyone for the input, good ideas. Hadn't thought about the increase in flavor, that should definitely offset any issues with the meat being tough. I was actually thinking about chicken and dumplings, can do a nice slow cook on the chicken then shred. Looks like I'll be butchering some chickens as soon as we get a nice day.

I have two 1yo birds, and ameraucana roo (not so nice) and an EE hen (egg eater), who are destined for the butcher block. I've never butchered before, so plan to at least dispatch and pluck to get the experience. But is it worth the effort of cleaning completely and cooking birds at this age, or will they just be tough?  I have friends who feed their dogs raw diet and would be happy to give them plucked (or skinned) birds, maybe that's the best way to go?

After the first year, a chicken is going to be tough...some of them are like trying to chew on banjo wires. Two years and older...think stew meat. Pressure cook them up and they will be easier to take the meat off the bones. Can the meat and put the bones and scraps in an eight quart pot...cover with water and boil for five or so hours...then strain into quart sized freezer bags and you have a wonderful stock for soups and stews.

Thanks everyone for the input, good ideas.  Hadn't thought about the increase in flavor, that should definitely offset any issues with the meat being tough.  I was actually thinking about chicken and dumplings, can do a nice slow cook on the chicken then shred.  Looks like I'll be butchering some chickens as soon as we get a nice day.

Chicken and dumplings...oh that sounds so goooooood! Great idea.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom