Butchering older birds - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RiddleMe, May 26, 2012.

1. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I have two 1yo birds, and ameraucana roo (not so nice) and an EE hen (egg eater), who are destined for the butcher block. I've never butchered before, so plan to at least dispatch and pluck to get the experience. But is it worth the effort of cleaning completely and cooking birds at this age, or will they just be tough? I have friends who feed their dogs raw diet and would be happy to give them plucked (or skinned) birds, maybe that's the best way to go?

2. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Dont give your dogs chicken bones, the bones are brittle and can cut up the inside of your dogs intestine. A good source for learning to butcher is youtube. Believe it or not, there are some good videos on there of humane and gentle ways of dispatching a bird for feasting. Ive heard of people eating birds that are as old as 4 years old. I dont think they should be too tough, but I would recommend slow roasting (covered pan with 1/2 cup water @ 325 for 3 hours) to make the meat drop off the bone. You will know when the bird is done when you can pull the drumstick away from the thigh without too much resistance.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I may be wrong but I thought that was only cooked chicken bones. As part of a raw food diet, I don't believe there is the same danger.

4. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    HEChicken is correct, it's a common practice to give raw chickens, bones and all, as part of a raw food diet. The bones aren't brittle in their raw state, so don't pose any health threat to the dogs.

5. dainerra

dainerra Crowing

Jun 4, 2011
    raw chicken bones with a bit of meat on them are EXCELLENT for cleaning your dogs teeth!
    cooked bones are a big no-no, of course!

6. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Ah, I see. I always learned that it was a big NO-NO to feed dogs chicken bones. If there is a difference I had not heard about it.

7. NYboy

NYboy Songster

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Old wise tale, if eating uncooked bones was bad ,willn't have coyote problems.

8. dainerra

dainerra Crowing

Jun 4, 2011
    it's kind of gross, but you can take an uncooked leg bone and bite through it yourself. Definitely no problem for dogs! :)

9. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Now that's something I haven't tried! [​IMG]

10. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Songster

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    At a year old or older, they'll be tough if you fry them, or otherwise treat them like grocery store mushbirds. But they're great for braised or poached dishes such as coq au vin or chicken and dumplings -- the flavor is far richer than a younger birds.

FWIW, some restaurant chefs have been complaining about not being able to buy the kind of older rooster that coq au vin was traditionally made from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: