Butchered two roosters today

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I butchered 2 - 1.5 year old welsummer roosters today. I am glad I didn't go for all 6 intended targets today. It took me 1.75 hours from start to end of cleanup to do just the two. Hopefully I'll get to the rest tomorrow or Sunday.

I skinned the two today instead of scalding/plucking as they are destined for soup or the grinder anyway because of their age.

3 of the remaining targets are 5 month cockerels, so I will probably attempt so scald/pluck those ones. If it's worth it.

Hopefully it goes a little quicker next time. I was a little (lot) rusty.

I butchered 2 - 1.5 year old welsummer roosters today. I am glad I didn't go for all 6 intended targets today. It took me 1.75 hours from start to end of cleanup to do just the two. Hopefully I'll get to the rest tomorrow or Sunday.

I skinned the two today instead of scalding/plucking as they are destined for soup or the grinder anyway because of their age.

3 of the remaining targets are 5 month cockerels, so I will probably attempt so scald/pluck those ones. If it's worth it.

Hopefully it goes a little quicker next time. I was a little (lot) rusty.
2 roos in less than 2 hrs is really good I think! My time is 1.5 hrs for one skinned roo, from dispatch to parted out in bags in the cooler. When I pluck, it takes 2 hrs per chicken (hand plucking). Good luck! Should make some tasty soup. I pressure cooked my one-year-old roo, and he was tender and delicious. Made a great BBQ sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom