Butchering them tomorrow!

Update time!
So the hen that gets to live longer is not only sickly but thin as well. I need tips on fattening it up without overdoing it. I've already separated it from the main flock so it doesn't infect the others.

Update time!
So the hen that gets to live longer is not only sickly but thin as well. I need tips on fattening it up without overdoing it. I've already separated it from the main flock so it doesn't infect the others.
To each his own, BUT if a bird is sick it would not make the dinner table at my house. One good tidbit I saw on BYC is "chickens don't get colds they get diseases".

To each his own, BUT if a bird is sick it would not make the dinner table at my house. One good tidbit I saw on BYC is "chickens don't get colds they get diseases".
Its getting better from whatever it has but still a little sick.
I'm actually surprised at the improvement as I thought it would take longer to see improvement.

Update time!
The problem with some of the hybrid meat birds, is that they can have internal organ issues that catch up with them around harvest time. This is more true for Cornish X birds, but can still happen with “slow” broilers. The reason this happens is because the hatchery doesn’t breed them as carefully as they would a line you expect to keep longer term. I think that might be what is wrong with your girl. She may have an illness, but she caught it because her system is weakened. Most people I know butcher their meat birds at the first sign they may not be thriving to prevent loss of condition like you are seeing. I’m not sure this is something you can fix, and even if you can you may have to use chemicals that are inadvisable to use in birds slated for human consumption.

Back
Top Bottom