Butchering without gutting.

B-Goock

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 8, 2013
Somerset, Kentucky
Our excess of roos had been in freezer camp which is just an oversized shed with an open side that is fenced (it was a temporary solution that is now doing freezer camp 2).
20200921_084121.jpg

We did the normal process everyone does to get to a clean plucked carcass.
I love my bday present!
20200921_084949.jpg

Once chilled my wife said she wanted boneless chicken breasts and considering I'm the only one that will eat organs I just split the leg quarters off, wings off, and used a fillet knife to cut the breast meat off. Once done with that I trimmed some meat off and skin off the carcass along with wing tips for chicken stock. The only real waste was the liver, heart, & gizzard.

20200920_122817.jpg

10 birds filled 5 gallon size bags. The process was not bloody at all which was another reason since my lovely helper is a bit squeamish over the messy part of butchering.

Our excess of roos had been in freezer camp which is just an oversized shed with an open side that is fenced (it was a temporary solution that is now doing freezer camp 2).
View attachment 2342612

We did the normal process everyone does to get to a clean plucked carcass.
I love my bday present!
View attachment 2342614

Once chilled my wife said she wanted boneless chicken breasts and considering I'm the only one that will eat organs I just split the leg quarters off, wings off, and used a fillet knife to cut the breast meat off. Once done with that I trimmed some meat off and skin off the carcass along with wing tips for chicken stock. The only real waste was the liver, heart, & gizzard.

View attachment 2342617
10 birds filled 5 gallon size bags. The process was not bloody at all which was another reason since my lovely helper is a bit squeamish over the messy part of butchering.
Sounds like you clean chicken the same way my son does fish.:thumbsup

I can't imagine not having a complete carcass to make my Crockpot Chicken Stock, but if it suits your needs then it suits your needs. :)
The first one I did start to clean completely and almost lost my helper. Maybe in time she'll get used to the idea, sights, & smells. As of now I still got trimmings from them & wing tips and made a tasty stock.

I regularly will buy two whole chickens (my first round of my own Cornish X are due for slaughter in 5 weeks), and will remove the breasts and legs, and then use the carcass, organs, and wing tips for broth. Two small carcasses usually yields 10-12 cups of broth. I skim off the fat and render it, and usually have about 1/2 and use that to cook all meals except eggs. I use bacon grease for the eggs!

I regularly will buy two whole chickens (my first round of my own Cornish X are due for slaughter in 5 weeks), and will remove the breasts and legs, and then use the carcass, organs, and wing tips for broth. Two small carcasses usually yields 10-12 cups of broth. I skim off the fat and render it, and usually have about 1/2 and use that to cook all meals except eggs. I use bacon grease for the eggs!
Broth from homegrown CX is more flavorful. Since usually they move more...
Broth from Heritage will knock your socks off. ... since it's older and moves a lot

Back
Top Bottom