Butchering your roosters!

Pics
The man came and we talked for a little while and he then began to talk about his wife and how she butchers chicks and uses almost every single part of the bird.

I think the only thing that grossed me out was how the kept the blood to make 'pudding' out of it which is apparently normal for her since she is Chinese.

Yep, my wife is Vietnamese and they do the same thing. Save the blood for pudding, they eat the feet, and almost all the organs. Practically no waste at all. Glad you had a good experience with it and learned a little about a different culture. Even when I can't "get with the program" I enjoy seeing what other people do. I don't eat the blood, same reason I don't eat liver, it tastes like I got punched in the nose. :) When you have a good experience like that, it just reinforces what we do. If anyone has a problem with butchering a chicken, ride behind a chicken truck (which is common here with all the chicken trucks rolling through town) for a distance and see all those poor chickens crammed in there. Some you can tell are dead with their feet in the air. I'm not really what you'd call a "softy" but 'bout puts a tear in my eye whenever I see that.

Thanks everyone for the Informative thread! Pity about the troll but there is always one it seems. I just have a chuckle.. Ooooh the irony of how many animals die by poision in grain production in the name of pest contol.

The first dog I ever dissected in anatomy lab I almost cried because he looked just like my own dog (only dead). But you get over it with time and experience. I *think* I could kill a chicken with some practice...but it would be easier to have the neighbor do it!! Like I said, once it's DEAD I am fine to take it to pieces :D But I got a little faint just giving my dog intramuscular injections, so...but certainly my husband won't do it. He faints when he sees a little blood from a splinter :lau I think that's the main reason he keeps me around. To deal with blood, puke, and poop.

I just sat and read this entire thread, each and every one of you members speak of processing your birds in a way that is matter-of-fact type of self-suffiently survival and feeding your families.
Not one person stated how much they enjoy killing chickens, nor talked about torturing them or killing them in any way that was slow nor provided unnecessary excess pain and suffering.
Someone who joins in on a knowledgeable, straight forward thread like this one and says "CRUEL" is non other than a troll.
In case someone doesn't know what a troll is: it is a person who has nothing better to do than lurk online threads on social medias and say any mindless statement they think will offend you, then sit back and watch the defense unfold in all their glory, often times never commenting again, but they are still watching, seeing how long they can stay in someone's mind from that one comment.
Sounds stupid, I know. Trolls are pitiful.
But anyways, I plan on expanding my flock very soon for my own family's CRUEL survivability and I very much enjoyed reading all your guys' knowledge and experience and hearing about the different breeds. :goodpost::thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
Exactly! Thank you very much for your input!

The first dog I ever dissected in anatomy lab I almost cried because he looked just like my own dog (only dead). But you get over it with time and experience. I *think* I could kill a chicken with some practice...but it would be easier to have the neighbor do it!! Like I said, once it's DEAD I am fine to take it to pieces :D But I got a little faint just giving my dog intramuscular injections, so...but certainly my husband won't do it. He faints when he sees a little blood from a splinter :lau I think that's the main reason he keeps me around. To deal with blood, puke, and poop.
:lau

I just sat and read this entire thread, each and every one of you members speak of processing your birds in a way that is matter-of-fact type of self-suffiently survival and feeding your families.
Not one person stated how much they enjoy killing chickens, nor talked about torturing them or killing them in any way that was slow nor provided unnecessary excess pain and suffering.
Someone who joins in on a knowledgeable, straight forward thread like this one and says "CRUEL" is non other than a troll.
In case someone doesn't know what a troll is: it is a person who has nothing better to do than lurk online threads on social medias and say any mindless statement they think will offend you, then sit back and watch the defense unfold in all their glory, often times never commenting again, but they are still watching, seeing how long they can stay in someone's mind from that one comment.
Sounds stupid, I know. Trolls are pitiful.
But anyways, I plan on expanding my flock very soon for my own family's CRUEL survivability and I very much enjoyed reading all your guys' knowledge and experience and hearing about the different breeds. :goodpost::thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Thank you and very glad you enjoyed these posts. You are right , we have trolls in everything. They are cowards as far as I am concerned. They like to spout off on everything they know nothing about just to try and cause a stir. Shall we feed them when they go hungry?? I'm thinking NOT unless they get in there and help with the deed of processing the food. I appreciate your post..:yesss::thumbsup

I've been thinking about skinning. Have you done it on layer breed cockbirds?
I skin my layer cocks. It seems faster and easier to skin on the younger birds. I just did mine at 3 1/2 and 4 Mo old. once they get older, they toughen up. Older birds I also skin for chicken noodles, but they do seem to be tougher to skin. and they certainly don't fry up worth a darn. Meat is too tough then. Best to you.

I skin my layer cocks. It seems faster and easier to skin on the younger birds. I just did mine at 3 1/2 and 4 Mo old. once they get older, they toughen up. Older birds I also skin for chicken noodles, but they do seem to be tougher to skin. and they certainly don't fry up worth a darn. Meat is too tough then. Best to you.

Thats what i am doing. Ive gotten tons of birds this year and now have tons of roosters, ive picked the keepers for their personalities and easy going with my girls. My flock of dinner stock are living together until they meet their end, i have drakes and roosters together for this reason.
I prefer to skin then pluck it goes by faster, takes about 20-25 mins per bird from t.o.d to oven ready. We take the selected boy i to a part of the yard out of sight from the flock and cull, skin and inner pluck. Nicest way i can go about it.

Back
Top Bottom