Butchering your roosters!

Pics
I'm vegetarian and won't cull the roos myself but I agree with much of what's been said about giving them a good life, then ending it humanely with a purpose. It is the circle of life. My dad and his sister grew up on a farm and they know how to do it humanely, quickly and they eat the roos without complaint. Being from a small island and growing up poor, they use every part of the animal -- living off the land they did. Now that I have chickens they like coming over to look at them, enjoy the eggs, and any roos have a good, free range life until their time comes. They have a lot of respect for the animals. They understand the value of life, of survival and are grateful for what nature give us. As are we.

KFC pressure fries the chicken you get from them. Check your pressure cooker for the cookbook that it came with. That is where I got my recipe. It was from 1972, so you might not have such info in a new cooker. I will look for mine and post it if you want.
Can you upload a picture of the instructions? I think I just hatched 3 roosters...

Will skinned whole chicken freeze just as good as one with the skin on?

Can you upload a picture of the instructions? I think I just hatched 3 roosters...

Yes, but the freezer that comes with a refrigerator is only good for a couple of months. If you have a stand alone freezer, that freezes to 0 degrees, it is better.Use a good quality freezer bag and get the air out before freezing. I will look for my Pressure cooker book and post a photo.

SCAN0005.JPG Here is the page about fried chicken. You just bread your chicken with your favorite batter, fry it brown, then add a cup of water and pressure cook 20 min for an older bird, short recipe.

Yes, but the freezer that comes with a refrigerator is only good for a couple of months.

I wonder if also the humidity in your area, or just the humidity control in your house in general has anything to do with it as well. Our refrigerator in our basement freezes very hard, but after something has been in there a while, there are a lot of ice crystals in whatever is frozen. A LOT. It's like there's excess moisture in the freezer as it's freezing which puts moisture into the package. You probably don't have problems like that being in AZ, but here in GA, the humidity is pretty rough.

I wonder if also the humidity in your area, or just the humidity control in your house in general has anything to do with it as well. Our refrigerator in our basement freezes very hard, but after something has been in there a while, there are a lot of ice crystals in whatever is frozen. A LOT. It's like there's excess moisture in the freezer as it's freezing which puts moisture into the package. You probably don't have problems like that being in AZ, but here in GA, the humidity is pretty rough.
The same problem here, it is the auto-defrost that keeps the ice from building up on the freezer walls. It warms the freezer a little to get the ice off the walls, but the ice crystals form in your food! Especially bad for ice cream, it gets gooey and crystals form in the carton. A chest freezer with manual defrost that you only open about once a week is the way to go for long term storage of chicken!
I put some more pages from my pressure cooker instruction book in an article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pressure-cooker-fried-chicken.73205/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom