Butchering your roosters!

Pics
Hi,
I was wondering if they are as big as Orpingtons. I had a flock in the late 80's, the reds were smaller, better egg layers than those Orpingtons. I have been reading about red rangers, but just want to keep one breed in my new flock.

They are a bit smaller but I have seen RIR get as big as an orphinton however, ex gf had one and she was HUGE. I have some red stars now however they're just about to be a year old and they're pretty big but shorter then regular RIR, so I mean they're great meat birds just not as big as them generally unless you push it of course ;P the roosters can get big and they're a tad more aggressive breed but it's easily avoidable if you raise them from chicks or simply handle them enough.

IMHO you want a big bird get some real Malay ;p

They are a bit smaller but I have seen RIR get as big as an orphinton however, ex gf had one and she was HUGE. I have some red stars now however they're just about to be a year old and they're pretty big but shorter then regular RIR, so I mean they're great meat birds just not as big as them generally unless you push it of course ;P the roosters can get big and they're a tad more aggressive breed but it's easily avoidable if you raise them from chicks or simply handle them enough.

IMHO you want a big bird get some real Malay ;p
Also, hatchery RIR and heritage RIR are two different birds, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom