Buttercup beats the heat!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Tina D, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    This heatwave is kicking our butts! I have been going out to check on my girls' food and water all day, and adding ice cubes to the water. I've been making sure they stay in the shade. I gave them some frozen broccoli.

Buttercup, my BO, has been especially miserable. She is so fluffy! One time when I went to check the girls, Buttercup really had me a little scared. She was panting so hard, and looked weak. She was holding her wings out away from her body. I held some ice water to her and she wouldn't drink. She wouldn't taste the broccoli. I was panic stricken! So, I filled a casserole dish with ice water, and dipped her feet in. But she didn't perk up. I grabbed a bath towel, and put it in the ice water. I squeezed some of the water out, and wrapped Buttercup up in the cool, wet towel. Thank goodness, she perked up after a minute or so! She even stopped panting. Then I got her to take a sip of water. After she looked better, I dipped the towel in the ice water again, and squeezed it out again. I put down a cold pack from the freezer, and fashioned a "nest" out of the towel on top of it. Buttercup settled herself right in! Whew!

[​IMG]

My other girl, Lillie, hasn't been too bothered by the heat. She's much smaller, younger, and less fluffy. She drinks a lot more, too.

[​IMG]

2. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    good thinking ! I am glad she responded to it well !!
    I am not looking forward to the heat this summer either. [​IMG]

3. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quick thinking, and I will remember the ice nest!!

4. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Aww...such a cute picture. Great idea!! [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Super idea! I'm going to use your idea!

6. klpenny

klpenny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Good idea, you must love your girl(s) [​IMG]

The heat has been really scary, one of my husband's clients brought in a 9 month old Pomeranian that was flat out, and unfortunately it didn't make it. I put about an inch of water in the baby pool that the chicks lived in as peeps, they weren't interested. They just hung out in the woods picking at the bugs on jewel weed.

7. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Great way to keep them cool. Lilly is so cute and looks a lot like one of ours. What kind is she?

8. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    She looks so content and cool. [​IMG]

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    how did chickens survive years ago when they didnt have dotting humans to tend to their every need and comfort.. shoot I m so good to my chickens I want to be one.. hahahha...

I am going to slip your idea in my great ideas to keep in mind for future needs..

blessings and smiles )O(
    Pink

10. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    great idea. She seems pretty smart too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by