Buttercup comb on Olive Egger backcross chick?

AnimalCrazed

Crowing
12 Years
May 1, 2011
Idaho
I hatched this chick last month he is from a Olive Egger mother (Ameraucana X BCM) and a Welsummer father.

His mother has the modified pea comb and he had what looked like a straight comb until about a week or two old it started developing this circle at the back of his comb.
I'm so interested in what it grows out to be but I'm not even sure what you would call it! Buttercup? I thought that was specific to a certain breed only.

What do you all think about this?
Day old Brown/Gray chick up front
20240308_155055.jpg

This is 3 weeks old.
20240329_192345.jpg

I would call that a buttercup. Maybe he could be crossed to sicilian buttercups to get an olive laying buttercup with the correct comb type
The only thing is, is I produced this chick. His mother and father were bred and raised here and so were the grandparents. I've never owned a Sicilian Buttercup. 🤷🏼‍♀️

The only thing is, is I produced this chick. His mother and father were bred and raised here and so were the grandparents. I've never owned a Sicilian Buttercup. 🤷🏼‍♀️
He is not a sicilian buttercup. His comb is a buttercup comb. Crossing him with a sicilian buttercup would create an EE or OE that looks like SB.

That is not a buttercup comb, or not pure buttercup anyway. Buttercup comb is split all the way from front to back. It's possible to get a comb similar to that from the buttercup comb gene being heterozygous (only one copy of the gene being present instead of two), but far more likely to get something like that from being heterozygous for the duplex comb gene, the one that causes the V-shaped comb in Polish, Spitzhaubens, Sultans, Houdans, Crevecouers, La Fleche, etc. Do you have any history with any V-combed breeds in your flock?

As small as the split section is, I could also see that just being an extreme case of side sprigs, but it'd be easier to tell whether that's the case once the comb has grown a bit more. I do think I see a bit of 'lift' in the nostril area that is indicative of duplex, though.

That is not a buttercup comb, or not pure buttercup anyway. Buttercup comb is split all the way from front to back. It's possible to get a comb similar to that from the buttercup comb gene being heterozygous (only one copy of the gene being present instead of two), but far more likely to get something like that from being heterozygous for the duplex comb gene, the one that causes the V-shaped comb in Polish, Spitzhaubens, Sultans, Houdans, Crevecouers, La Fleche, etc. Do you have any history with any V-combed breeds in your flock?

As small as the split section is, I could also see that just being an extreme case of side sprigs, but it'd be easier to tell whether that's the case once the comb has grown a bit more. I do think I see a bit of 'lift' in the nostril area that is indicative of duplex, though.
I count horn combs as a buttercup variety

Back
Top Bottom