Can my olive egger be the mom of a single comb hen?

RainValleyFarm

Songster
Mar 4, 2021
Lexington Kentucky
I believe My Oliver Egger is the "mom" of this hen. But genetically, is it possible?

I only had one green layer and hatched two of her eggs along with a bunch of others. So I don't know for sure who hatched from the green eggs. BUT this hen now lays green eggs, so I'm assuming she must be from my Oliver egger? Though, the dad was a gift so I don't know his breed.

Is it possible for these two parents to make a single comb baby? I have no idea how the genetics work, but hope to learn eventually!

Photo 1: Olive Egger (mom)
Photo 2: unknown breed (dad)
Photo 3: Daugter of Olive Egger?
Photo 4: either laying brown eggs or not laying yet, but I also think shes the daughter of believed parents.

this is just for fun and it doesn't matter to me! I'm just curious and would love some genetic info! If anyone has good sources on where I could learn about the genetics I'd be super interested! Thank you!

MOM
88DA02DF-FA8D-4702-BA3B-E2A614ADCA34.jpeg

DAD
74496B8B-C3EC-49F6-9A3A-AE7EE06243F1.jpeg

HEN IN QUESTION
7B8759BC-3A83-42CA-B22D-F70D556A8948.jpeg

HEN I ALSO BELIEVE IS FROM SAME PARENTS
7E545AAC-32CE-4F6E-9C0F-1FFC7AF1E910.jpeg

This is information on the breeding of the Olive eggies from the original hatchery I got mom from. However, that was 3 years ago so it could be different than how they breed for them now
882C1C77-8962-4AA2-9B84-921B7E3211F0.png

Last edited:
Is it possible for these two parents to make a single comb baby? I have no idea how the genetics work, but hope to learn eventually!
Since single comb is recessive to all others.. any other comb could be hiding a single copy.. and pass that copy to the offspring.. So yes.. single is possible from two non single combed parents.

ETA: one fun starter link..

https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/poultry-genetics-an-introduction/

Hope this helps and makes a little bit of sense!

Absolutely. If the breeds listed on the hatchery website were used when your OE hen was hatched then she would have definitely inherited a single comb gene from at least one of her parents (she actually looks to have a modified single comb herself). Since single combs are recessive it means your rooster has to be carrying a single comb gene (assuming he's the only option for fathering your chick) even though he doesn't have a single comb himself.

It is very clear that both parents carry the single combed gene just by looking at them. Unlike the usual tight homozygous pea combs, the center row of their combs is taller than the outer rows. Looks like your hen got the recessive gene from her Welsummer side!

Absolutely. If the breeds listed on the hatchery website were used when your OE hen was hatched then she would have definitely inherited a single comb gene from at least one of her parents (she actually looks to have a modified single comb herself). Since single combs are recessive it means your rooster has to be carrying a single comb gene (assuming he's the only option for fathering your chick) even though he doesn't have a single comb himself.
He is the only option for fathering the chicks at that time!
And now that you mention that, we had four roosters hatch - one of which's mom was 100% my blue laced red wyandotte (there's no denying it with his feathers! 🤣) but he had a single comb!
2054687E-6936-46DC-9B61-666AB2B5E252.jpeg

It is very clear that both parents carry the single combed gene just by looking at them. Unlike the usual tight homozygous pea combs, the center row of their combs is taller than the outer rows. Looks like your hen got the recessive gene from her Welsummer side!
Thanks, I guess that's why I was having such a hard time identifying exactly what type of comb each parent even had!

He is the only option for fathering the chicks at that time!
And now that you mention that, we had four roosters hatch - one of which's mom was 100% my blue laced red wyandotte (there's no denying it with his feathers! 🤣) but he had a single comb! View attachment 3771879
Yeah, single combs pop up in wyandottes all the time. My only wyandotte so far was a silver laced pullet from a hatchery and she had a single comb too.

Back
Top Bottom