Buttermilk Fried Chicken...OMG! LOL.

I used to work at a big name chicken fast food restaurant, MANY years ago before it started going by just the 3 initials. While I don't know the official 11 herbs and spices, I do know the "secret" to the extra crispy version...they dredged the chicken in the flour mixture, dropped it into water, let the water drip off a bit, then dumped it back into the flour. The first dip into the flour and then water sort of serves as "glue" which sticks the second round of flour on. Keeping the grease hot and keeping the chicken pieces from touching each other in the hot grease is important. I still love fried chicken, which is why I got Buff Orpingtons...they look like they are already fried golden brown
lol.png

[[.......What temp in the oven & how long? :).....]]]]]

I have the oven at 350 F. Chicken is done at 185 F.

I brown the thickest pieces first. A few pieces at a time so the oil doesn't get cooled off. You need to have the oil hot or it will soak into the coating and make your chicken greasy.

Then the browned pieces go into a pan in the oven while I fry the rest of the chicken.

You cook until it is done. You can either use a meat thermometer or cut into a thick piece to see how it looks near the bone.

If you are doing a lot of chicken, about midway through, turn the pieces in the oven over. They will be browning more from the oil that runs off to the bottom of your baking dish.

If I am doing something small, like chicken fingers, they will be done as soon as they come out of the frying pan. If I am cooking a lot of them, they go into the oven at 225 to keep them warm but not dry them out.

I deboned 4 large chicken thighs , then I used a meat tenderizing hammer to pound the meaty side of the thighs to about 1/4" thick. Then, I put them into a pan with buttermilk for 4 hours. Next, my wife placed a pork breakfast sausage onto each thigh and wrapped the thigh over the sausage and used 3 toothpicks through the skins streatched from both sides to hold it together. She then diped them in the buttermilk and dredged them in flour, and rested them in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour. Then back into the buttermilk, then into a dried bread crumb and spice mixture. Quick fried the skin side in olive oil untill light golden brown. She then placed them into a glass baking dish and added some chicken broth ( just enough to barely cover the bottom of the dish) and a little BBQ sauce over the top and covered the dish with Aluminum foil and baked them at 350* for 1 hour. Result.......... a oh so tender FEAST fit for a King !
droolin.gif
Man, did I stuff myself !
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I am so going to try this! I never thought about pounding them out. I'm guessing you could skip the sausage rolling up think and have a tasty chickenloin type sandwich as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Bossman.

Back
Top Bottom