Butternut Squash Soup

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by sussexgal, Oct 6, 2008.

1. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

This recipe came from the food network .com

1 butternut squash, peeled
    Nutmeg
    2 Tbsp unsalted butter
    salt and pepper
    1 onion, chopped
    6 cups chicken broth

Cut squash in 1-inch cubes. In large pot, melt butter and add onions. Cook about 8 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add broth and squash. Bring to simmer and cook until squash is tender. Remove squash chunks with slotted spoon and place in blender. Puree. Return squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.

What I did or would do different. Adjust chicken broth to the size of the squash you have. Mine was a small squash - shoulda only used 4 cups of broth. I just squeezed the squash chunks up against the side of the pot to break them up - I like soups with smaller chunks. Unsalted butter? Used regular butter. Skipped the nutmeg cuz I'm not a fan. It is d-lish! Enjoy [​IMG]

2. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Thanks Sussexgal, I've looked for a good Butternut squash soup and could'nt find one I had so many squash take over my garden this year. I specifically planted butternut squash for the soup. I appreciate it and God bless.[​IMG]

3. Maddhatter

Maddhatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Man that sounds great. But you forgot one thing. A few well placed drops of tabasco chipolte sause. [​IMG]

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    you can also use pumpkin.
    I add lentils and just microve my pumpkin adding it at the last few minutes of cooking before pureeing... I also add celery and some carrot and turnip... I add the nutmeg at the very last freshly ground on top of the soup. This is very nutriticious and when served with garlic bread or grilled cheese is a complete meal.

5. Littlechick

Littlechick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    That sounds wonderful. I love a butternut squash soup. That and tomato are my favorites.

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Don't forget to top with bacon crumbles!
    Also tasty is the addition of garam masala or biryani spices.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Other additions:
    Sour cream (lite or reg)
    Curry
    **Wild rice, corn, & kielbasa (DBF's fav)**
    Turkey chunks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by