Button or Coturnix?

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
got back into quail! but i have delema! i want either coturnix or buttons, but i do know which one! i'll be getting them from Strombergs and i will hatch them in a tiny yellow incubator (only inubator i got) which one?

Depends on what you want them for. Coturnix are a good choice if you want meat, eggs for eating, or pets (they can be handled quite easily for the most part). Buttons are more of a 'just for looking' kind of pet, you can't really handle them much. Buttons come in much brighter colors than coturnix, so if you want something aesthetically pleasing, then go with buttons.
It also depends on where you plan on keeping them. Buttons almost have to be indoors unless you live in a pretty warm climate. They also shouldn't be kept on wire since their feet are so small. Coturnix can be kept inside, but they stink!
sickbyc.gif
Lots of variables between the two
smile.png

If the little yellow bator you are referring to is the "Chick-Bator", don't waste your money. I hope you haven't bought the incubator already, I've heard they are nothing but junk.
hmm.png

Quote:
i want a good pet, and i LOVE picking up and holding birds. i would most likey keep them in the garage, unless if my parents don't have a heart and want to keep them in the barn. anywho, i live in northern ND, it gets to the -40s sometimes in winter, but it stays around -30 - (-10) in garage when its in the -40s. could coturnix quail stand that? i do have some space in my room for a largeish cage for quail.
plus, i alrady have the incubator, i've had it for about 2yrs. it came with 9 bobwhite eggs with it to, but i never left the incubator alone so none of them hatched.

Quote:
i want a good pet, and i LOVE picking up and holding birds. i would most likey keep them in the garage, unless if my parents don't have a heart and want to keep them in the barn. anywho, i live in northern ND, it gets to the -40s sometimes in winter, but it stays around -30 - (-10) in garage when its in the -40s. could coturnix quail stand that? i do have some space in my room for a largeish cage for quail.
plus, i alrady have the incubator, i've had it for about 2yrs. it came with 9 bobwhite eggs with it to, but i never left the incubator alone so none of them hatched.

it sounds like the Coturnix would be a better choice for you......
thumbsup.gif

Wow, those prices are REALLY high.

There are a lot of vendors that sell here on BYC, and also on E-bay who have eggs for a much more reasonable price. Many of them sell mixed batches of all kinds of colors.

I personally got some really great colors from eggs I bought from Quailladyoffortmeyers, who posts on here all the time. I'd contact her rather than buying them from Stromberg's. You will get a lot more eggs for the money

I hatched both buttons and Coturnix this summer, just for pets. They're both interesting and fun birds, but I think I like to Coturnix better, because they are actually VERY friendly -- mine are tame like chickens, and now come up to me for treats. The buttons CAN be tamed, but mostly if you raise them as a single bird right from hatch, from what I understand, but all of mine are basically terrorized when I approach the cages, and run around constantly when I'm working with them. Still pretty to look at, but not tame by any stretch of the imagination.

There is a website cyberquail.com that talks about taming buttons.

Since you need to keep them in the barn, I don't think you have any choice but to do Coturnix, as buttons just would not survive that in North Dakota in the winter.

Strombergs have dealers and believe me you will not be happy with the eggs...personal experience and the quality of the chicks (inbreeding). There is one breeder that deals with Strombergs and goes by the name of PAM. She believes she invented all the colors from her button quail even though buttons are not coturnix (which strombergs incorrectly has posted on the site).

When buying eggs you need to ask questions to the breeder, you have to know where the eggs come from rather than just purchasing, they need to know the breed and not give you incorrect info. That is why I would never buy from Strombergs again.

Back
Top Bottom