*~*Button Pictures*~*

Quote:
Nope! That is where Button Quail genetics get interesting. They are kind of like that box of chocolates that Forrest Gump talked about. You never know what you are going to get! He will definitely have some but his hen will contribute some genes there too.

I had a pair that was a Red Breasted Pied male and a df Blue Face Pied female and their clutches would be split down the middle with half like her and half like him. Red Breasted is recessive so go figure!! People have been mixing Buttons for so long now that nothing really breeds true in them anymore. The only time I had whole clutches breed true was when I did some linebreeding.

That doesn't surprise me. I had 2 white chicks hatch this last time, from my own birds' eggs. I have no white birds at all!! I kinda thought that it wouldn't be that simple, as I have a lot of cinnamon blueface! I assume that is due to mixing cinnamon and blueface at some point? But if the cinnamon blueface males and females were paired together, then they would still produce cinnamon blueface, right? I need to start a new thread I think! Or get your phone # so I can pick your brain!
lau.gif

I don't think 'inbreeding' really matters as much in birds. If you were to do it a lot (mother to son, then grandson, then greatgrandson and so on) you would eventually get deformities. Most people 'line breed' to perfect type. I know it is no big deal, so I assume it's not with quail either. We'll have to wait for BQH to come back on for her opinion!

Back
Top Bottom