Button Quail As Pets Questions . . . .

I used to keep my quails inside but they stank really bad and I had to change the flooring of their cage once a week (which was kind of tedious). I keep them outside now and they love the grass. Branches is a good idea as they like to hide so even if they don’t jump on them and everything, they will go underneath it. The cage has no bottom so they roam around happily. I have to move it every so often. The cage I’m using was a small chicken coup from Bunnings that was $260 but it is amazing. The laying box is big but mine love it and hide in there when I come to change food. They don’t sleep in it though. They sleep outside in a big huddle. I had another small triangle cage but my Nana’s dog broke it and got a quail.
Thanks for the info! Can two of the same sex live together peacefully or not?

Thanks for the info! Can two of the same sex live together peacefully or not?
I did a lot of research when i first got quails. males can be kept together under very specific circumstances: they have to be the same brood to be housed safely together. otherwise, they apparently hurt or even kill each other. I bred some quails but the other cage broke. i put the young ones with their parents and they mostly left each other alone. At first the adult females picked on the young male but soon ignored him and his sister. females can be kept together. also, males mate almost constantly and need to have at least two females with him so he isnt focusing directly on one female (males pull head feathers)

I did a lot of research when i first got quails. males can be kept together under very specific circumstances: they have to be the same brood to be housed safely together. otherwise, they apparently hurt or even kill each other. I bred some quails but the other cage broke. i put the young ones with their parents and they mostly left each other alone. At first the adult females picked on the young male but soon ignored him and his sister. females can be kept together. also, males mate almost constantly and need to have at least two females with him so he isnt focusing directly on one female (males pull head feathers)
Thanks for your knowledgeable advice. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom