Button Quail Breeding

pen1124

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 31, 2010
Long Island
Alright I have a seemingly large problem on my hands. I've had my pair of button quail for about 2 and a half months now, i have a 30 gallon aquarium in my room currently housing them. Ive got things for them to climb on in there, plenty of food, water and oyster bits in there, and ample places to hide. They get about 17 hours of light a day, and i hear them call to eachother throughout my evenings home. So my question is why arent they breeding, she hasn't laid a single egg while she has lived here, and she is much older than 2 and a half months, probably more like 7, so where are my eggs
idunno.gif

I was wondering the same thing.
I've never noticed mine calling to each other while in the same cage.

One male will call to the youngsters across the room, but his mate in his cage doesn't answer him.

What are you feeding them? Sometimes diet can be a factor too.

Im currently feeding them what the quail breeder gave me LOL i forget whats in it, but he sid it was the perfect diet for them, and i have the crushed oyster in another bowl next to their food

48096_imag0233.jpg

The Male

48096_imag0232.jpg

The Female

I still haven't named either of them either, i know its horrible

Very nice birds! I have a male like that and just love his colors!

The female.. Have you ever checked to see if there are redish/rust colored feathers around the vent? If there are, than it's a male.

You may want to find out a little more about the diet, to make sure it's a good one.
Not to sound mean, but often breeders don't really know what they are doing, and misinform others.

Okay so i tried to catch her, bu she doesn't like that idea and refuses to come out, but if it helps, in this video
the male makes the sound first heard and the female makes the exact sound as the one almost immediately after it, the peep peep peep. Does this sound make her a female? because i have also never heard her do that crowing noise like the male. And as regards to the food, i asked him what was in it, he told me it was finch seed, vitamins such as protein and calcium, and some non-medicated chick feed crumbles, i also give them a small treat of millet from time to time.

That's a red breasted Pearl pair. I am thinking because they are in a tank, the light they are getting is reflecting the glass than getting to them. You may want to move them to a wire cage (solid bottom) and try a full spectrum lighting for them.

Is it really?!?!? Oh my goddness thats what I wanted all along too
big_smile.png
. Thank you all so much and quailladyoffortmyers, ill be sure to take your advice, thanks again.

Alright guys nothings happening still, does anyone think if i put in a fake egg that it would help her lay more to complete her clutch?

I have 7 1/2 week old buttons that are still living in a community setting awaiting being separated into pairs. They are in 3 different aquariums sitting by the kitchen window. They started laying 2 days ago and now I have 15 eggs. Try placing a small square box type bottom, open on top, put in shavings and she may use it for a nest. That's where mine lay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom