Button Quail Breeding

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pen1124, Dec 5, 2011.

1. pen1124

pen1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    Alright I have a seemingly large problem on my hands. I've had my pair of button quail for about 2 and a half months now, i have a 30 gallon aquarium in my room currently housing them. Ive got things for them to climb on in there, plenty of food, water and oyster bits in there, and ample places to hide. They get about 17 hours of light a day, and i hear them call to eachother throughout my evenings home. So my question is why arent they breeding, she hasn't laid a single egg while she has lived here, and she is much older than 2 and a half months, probably more like 7, so where are my eggs [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Are you sure they are a pair?

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I've never noticed mine calling to each other while in the same cage.

One male will call to the youngsters across the room, but his mate in his cage doesn't answer him.

What are you feeding them? Sometimes diet can be a factor too.

4. pen1124

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    Im currently feeding them what the quail breeder gave me LOL i forget whats in it, but he sid it was the perfect diet for them, and i have the crushed oyster in another bowl next to their food

[​IMG]
    The Male

[​IMG]
    The Female

I still haven't named either of them either, i know its horrible

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Very nice birds! I have a male like that and just love his colors!

The female.. Have you ever checked to see if there are redish/rust colored feathers around the vent? If there are, than it's a male.

You may want to find out a little more about the diet, to make sure it's a good one.
    Not to sound mean, but often breeders don't really know what they are doing, and misinform others.

6. pen1124

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    Okay so i tried to catch her, bu she doesn't like that idea and refuses to come out, but if it helps, in this video the male makes the sound first heard and the female makes the exact sound as the one almost immediately after it, the peep peep peep. Does this sound make her a female? because i have also never heard her do that crowing noise like the male. And as regards to the food, i asked him what was in it, he told me it was finch seed, vitamins such as protein and calcium, and some non-medicated chick feed crumbles, i also give them a small treat of millet from time to time.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That's a red breasted Pearl pair. I am thinking because they are in a tank, the light they are getting is reflecting the glass than getting to them. You may want to move them to a wire cage (solid bottom) and try a full spectrum lighting for them.

8. pen1124

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    Is it really?!?!? Oh my goddness thats what I wanted all along too [​IMG] . Thank you all so much and quailladyoffortmyers, ill be sure to take your advice, thanks again.

9. pen1124

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    Alright guys nothings happening still, does anyone think if i put in a fake egg that it would help her lay more to complete her clutch?

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have 7 1/2 week old buttons that are still living in a community setting awaiting being separated into pairs. They are in 3 different aquariums sitting by the kitchen window. They started laying 2 days ago and now I have 15 eggs. Try placing a small square box type bottom, open on top, put in shavings and she may use it for a nest. That's where mine lay.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by