Button Quail Cage? Will this Work?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by maggienchamp, Nov 25, 2011.

1. maggienchamp

maggienchamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Hi! So, this spring me and my sister will be hatching some Button Quails! Were not quite sure what type of cage is best for them, we found this:

http://www.petco.com/product/111932... Fresh Air Screen Habitat for Reptiles-111932

We would purchase the largest size (18"X30"x30"), would this be suitable for 2 - 4 Button Quails?

Also, what are your thoughts on the height of this cage? Is it neccessary to have a cage that tall?

I have heard about using fish tanks, but I don't like that idea as much as the mesh cage, because the mesh provides good ventalation.

Any comments or ideas would be helpful! Thanks [​IMG]

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I think it would be great for 2-3 quail, the top height really doesnt mean much but buttons are very skittish and do jump up and hit their heads, I would say it would be fine and I think your right about the screen sides being better just make sure you keep it clean because it would get stinky if not and be sure they are kept in a draft free place in a good stable room area.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Please read the sticky. Button quail should be house in pairs.

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    That is a nice cage. It would work for 1 pair. The only thing I see that may be a problem with this cage is you will have to guard against escapes when feeding and watering. Trust me, loose buttons are a challenge to catch. LOL!

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:But loose buttons does burn off those calories gained from Thanksgiving! [​IMG]

6. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:But loose buttons does burn off those calories gained from Thanksgiving! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, it would, but I think I'd rather take a walk around the block~ [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    This one would be better: http://www.petco.com/product/113068/WARE-Home-Sweet-Home-Purple-Small-Animal-Cage.aspx

It
    has a solid bottom, which would keep the bedding inside. With a totally screen cage, the bedding (dust at least) would come through the bottom, along with anything else small enough to fit through the wire.

ETA: You should only keep 2 button quail in one cage (male and female), unless you have a group of buttons who are all the same sex. So I'd go with the smallest of the wire mesh cages and get 2 of them if you plan to keep 4 buttons.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  8. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Shelley,
    Good point about the screen... But is the bar spacing on the one you posted O.K.? They seem a little wide to me.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:They should be 1/2" spaced, so they are fine.
    I have one of these, my first ever button quail cage: http://www.petco.com/product/106171/Petco-Rat-Manor-Habitat.aspx?CoreCat=RatHPCagesHabitats

I
    divided the top and bottom to make it into 2 pens, putting a piece of coroplast for the 'tray' on the top. The bar spacing is the same as it would be on a bird cage and they can't get through it. I'm considering getting dividers to separate each level into 2 pens, so it would hold 4 pairs if I can't get down to only 2 pair of buttons.

ETA: Anything made for small rodents (mouse, gerbil, hamster) would work, since the bar spacing on those cages would need to be pretty small to keep the animal from escaping. Even some for bigger rodents (guinea pigs, rats) would work, for the same reasons.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  10. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    O.K.! Great!
    I'm looking for ideas myself.. Mom wants to know what to get me for X mas... and it's a toss up between stuff for the kitchen,. blenders and such (yuck,.. I really hate cooking lol) or cages... [​IMG]

Cages will probably win out. [​IMG]

I need separate quail soon. Plus what I just got from you and Quaillady are due for lockdown sunday! Where did the time go??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by