1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Button Quail color chart and Identification.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by frogsong, May 12, 2009.

1. frogsong

frogsong Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    Squaw Valley, CA
    Hi,

I've been looking for a good button quail color chart with photos and a good detailed description so that I can determine the correct colors of what I have. I've had button quail in my aviaries for about two years now but only recently have been getting more into breeding and raising them.

My problem is in trying to ID the color variations accurately. I did find a a couple of charts, but many of them are still hard to ID as they look so much alike. An accurate detailed description along with the photo would be great.

I was thinking, since I can't find what I'm looking for, maybe I'll make make my own. However, first I need to be able to identify the colors accurately, and obviously, I'm not going to have all the colors that are available.

So here's what I was hoping. If any of you raise button quail and are experts at color ID, would you be willing to send me pictures and detailed descriptions of what you have? I will create a detailed color chart and when complete I will post a link to it here so everyone can benefit from it.

I would be forever grateful for help in identifying my button colors and would more than happy to share what I learn.

Thanks,

Deb

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
  3. frogsong

May 12, 2009
    Squaw Valley, CA
    Thank you K,

I did find that site and it helped. I would like to see a bit more detail on how to tell them apart though as some of them look a lot alike.

By those pictures, my Buttons that I've been calling cinnamon are actually caramel. But it says caramels are rare so I don't know how I could have gotten them. My first buttons were all ordered as eggs off ebay as a mix of colors so I really don't know what I have.

I have one that hatched a few weeks ago and I've not been able to find a picture of another one like it, so I'm curious as to what it would be called. I have a chick that I think might be what they call Darth Vader. It looks similar to the photo, but I would like a detailed description along with the photo to help me make sure.

This is why I'd like to make a chart. I haven't been able to find one that's very detailed.

If there are any button color experts here, would I be able to post a picture here of what I have and get it identified?

4. frogsong

May 12, 2009
    Squaw Valley, CA
    Quote:By the way, this site was created by a 15 year old girl and she was doing an excellent job. The best I've found so far.

Unfortunately she passed away on January 15th of this year. So the site won't be updated. [​IMG]

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:By the way, this site was created by a 15 year old girl and she was doing an excellent job. The best I've found so far.

Unfortunately she passed away on January 15th of this year. So the site won't be updated. [​IMG]

OMG [​IMG] [​IMG] that's HORRIBLE! [​IMG] I didnt expect to read that... [​IMG] OMG...i knew her... well not knew her... but I was going to work on projects with her... I thought her name was Nicole (like mine) but now I remember after seeing that it was Natasha. I can't wrap my brain around how she was here and now she's not.... [​IMG] She posted al ot on buttonquail usa [​IMG]

off topic but incase you havent...

zebra finchs website is the best I know of, he's the one who imported and produced most of the birds you see today (button quails).

www.zebrafinch.com

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.

Aww, How sad...

Here is some BYCERS that may be able to help you, I can't help as I am just now incubating my first set of Buttons.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain

Strike

KellyHM

millebantam

shelleyd2008

rizq

rinnith

Good Luck, I look forward to the final Project!

7. frogsong

May 12, 2009
    Squaw Valley, CA

OMG [​IMG] [​IMG] that's HORRIBLE! [​IMG] I didnt expect to read that... [​IMG] OMG...i knew her... well not knew her... but I was going to work on projects with her... I thought her name was Nicole (like mine) but now I remember after seeing that it was Natasha. I can't wrap my brain around how she was here and now she's not.... [​IMG] She posted al ot on buttonquail usa [​IMG]

off topic but incase you havent...

zebra finchs website is the best I know of, he's the one who imported and produced most of the birds you see today (button quails).

www.zebrafinch.com

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry that you didn't know and had to hear it this way. [​IMG] She seemed to really adore her little buttons. It's always so sad to hear about someone so young passing.

I've been to the zebra finch site too. He has an excellent chart on identification of newly hatched chicks. But I couldn't find a chart on adult colors and identification. I did email him and asked him if he might be putting one together in the future. I haven't heard back yet.

I've also been to ButtonquailUSA. They have a link to a color ID chart, unfortunately most of the site and links say under construction. So if they have a chart, they haven't put it up yet.

8. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Wow, 15? That is too young.

On a lighter note related to her sight, apparently my two buttons I hatched back in janurary are the "rare" caramel type? Never had eggs, but it is funny, because whenever my wife tries to wisecrack at me, they go ha ha ha reaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllly loud. Drives my dog crazy, because these guys live inside as lil pets [​IMG]

9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
  10. oldguy

oldguy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    What winter time temps are acceptable to adult button quail if they are out of the rain and wind?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by