Button Quail Colour

I'm wondering which male crossed with them would most likely make more of this color?
View attachment 2881482
It's really hard to say since we don't actually know the genetics behind the color nor of the roos (unless they are siblings of your hen, in which case I wouldn't breed them to each other).
The 'paleness' is most likely recessive, meaning you need both parents to carry the gene to have it show. It doesn't look like either of the parents of your hen is showing it, so I'm guessing they are just carriers and as such you can't tell for sure if their offspring has the genes causing paleness, unless they are showing it.
The guy in the pic above has a really strange color, not sure if it has anything to do with the paleness, but I'd keep him just to see where that color can get you.
What I did, when I first got pale birds, was breed the original bird to a completely unrelated bird, then breed the offspring of that breeding back to the parent with the color. That way, although I'm breeding parent and offspring, they are much less closely related than full siblings and the risk of inbreeding depression is significantly reduced.

It's really hard to say since we don't actually know the genetics behind the color nor of the roos (unless they are siblings of your hen, in which case I wouldn't breed them to each other).
The 'paleness' is most likely recessive, meaning you need both parents to carry the gene to have it show. It doesn't look like either of the parents of your hen is showing it, so I'm guessing they are just carriers and as such you can't tell for sure if their offspring has the genes causing paleness, unless they are showing it.
The guy in the pic above has a really strange color, not sure if it has anything to do with the paleness, but I'd keep him just to see where that color can get you.
What I did, when I first got pale birds, was breed the original bird to a completely unrelated bird, then breed the offspring of that breeding back to the parent with the color. That way, although I'm breeding parent and offspring, they are much less closely related than full siblings and the risk of inbreeding depression is significantly reduced.
Ok, thanks. So, I didn't know breeding siblings was bad, which may sound stupid but I guess I just thought it was fine. And the bird above is a full sibling to all the females I hatched, so I'd only have 2 males that aren't siblings, but potentially related because I got them from the same place.

Back
Top Bottom