Button Quail - Day 16

Okay, still nothing. I've got one little chick here cheeping like crazy. Is it going to be okay alone? Or do I need to hunt down some quail chicks? What the heck am I supposed to do!?!?!

You said you had a power outage... I think you need to give them another day. They may have just been trying to catch up on development. I have my fingers crossed... I'm sure it will work out.

(We decided to not do an incubator ever... we seem to get a power outage almost weekly here, though a couple hours at most and always in the middle of the night!
hmm.png
)

I know they will make it for you! Go talk to them... let them know mama is waiting!!!!
big_smile.png

hopefully you have better luck thanI do, ever batch of eggs (buttons) i get, I only sucessfully hatch out one chick per batch....I think that's just my luck though lol! Coturnix chicks, I hatch outa good deal but buttons...I'm just unlucky...I have 3 to show for 3 batchs LOL!

Long aggravating day here...
roll.png

Okay, I set up the brooder. Took the chick out and stuck it in there. He was fine. Running around, cheeping, drinking and soaking up the sun from the lamp.
I go upstairs and check my eggs. Oddly, nothing still. So, I crack open a few eggs to see if I see any movement. Out of 17 eggs I opened, only 2 had chicks in them and appeared to have quit around Day 13 or so. I'm not sure if there are any others in the eggs, but I'll let it go another day before I call it quits.
I come downstairs to hear my oldest son say 'Mommy, Declan just wants to see the chicky.'
hmm.png
Oh gosh...
There's my 1 year old, brooder cage open, water jug knocked over, food split.... NO chick in sight.

th.gif

I'm screaming at the kids 'What did you do with the chick!?!?! Where is it!? WHERE IS IT!?' Kieran (my oldest who's 3) says 'He flew away Mommy, far far away.' At this point, I'm like
somad.gif

Then I hear one lonely peep. Under the cage floor... you have to lift the cage to get there, so the boys must have knocked him under it somehow. Thankfully I found him, but he's not looking good. Very lethargic, laying on his side. I gave him a drink and stuck him under the heat lamp. He was only missing 15 minutes, but it's a little chilly here...

fl.gif
That he's okay and makes it!!!

And monarc, I feel your pain. My last batch was 1 chick out, died. This batch is (so far) 1 chick out, may die. Maybe I'm not supposed to have Buttons
barnie.gif

OH that's so awful!
th.gif

I wish I lived closer to you, I've got a ton of fuzzy butts I'd gladly give to you.
These are from a few days ago, and one from today.
bbs.JPG

fl.gif
Here's hoping some more still hatch, and your little one makes it!
fl.gif

Well, still nothing... Geez.

However, 'Peeper' is running all over the brooder again. Eating and drinking and chirping up a storm. It's really LOUD, I can hear it upstairs. LOL I chirp back to it, so it doesn't feel so lonely. I noticed, it's got a crooked toe. It's already 3 days old, can I fix that? Should I bandaid it or something?

Quote:
the sooner you fix it the better chance it will stay fixed, so i would say more power to you to try,.... there area bunch of threads on how to makes little booties for crooked toes and how to fix them!

Quote:
the sooner you fix it the better chance it will stay fixed, so i would say more power to you to try,.... there area bunch of threads on how to makes little booties for crooked toes and how to fix them!

Thanks. I've seen the booties before. I gave it one. It's hobbling along and eating.
love.gif
Gosh, it's so tiny I can't not love it. LOL

Back
Top Bottom