1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

button quail egg help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mammaquail, Aug 2, 2014.

1. mammaquail

mammaquail New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    wisconsin
    [​IMG]My not so male button quail laid an egg 5 days ago. I set it up in a homemade incubator keeping the temperature at 99-100 degrees and around 60% humidity.... I candled the egg today this is day five and this is what I see.... can anyone tell me is this viable or not? Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

It looks like it may be, but it's hard to tell from that pic. Candle again in 2-3 days and check for signs of veining and an embryo. Are you only incubating one egg?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  3. mammaquail

mammaquail New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    wisconsin
    Yes, just 1 egg. Its been almost a week and that's all she has laid... :( and it has one long vein that goes from near the bottom of egg up to the top and back to the other side. Still don't see an embrio yet. I'll check in a few days. Hard to tell with the dark egg with speckles.

4. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Looks like it's starting to develop. As suggested I'd wait a few more days and candle again :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by