Button Quail Egg-Laying

PoultryQueen29

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
North Carolina
I just got a pair of buttons last Saturday and I got an egg on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I assumed she would be an every-other-day layer because the days are short right now but I went to check on them on Friday and suprise! TWO good sized eggs! Is this normal for them becuase I am very confused as to how she developed 2 eggs in such little time. This is my first time with button quail so I don't know if this means anything.

I don't think it is a problem. Button quails use to lay one egg per day. Maybe she held the egg from another day(she may couldn't lay the egg because of the size) and then she lay both eggs. That's my opinion.

Thats what I was thinking at first. It was her egg from wednesday or monday.

I just got another egg! Did she just lay every other day at first because of moving to a new environment?

Last edited:
Is the light period regular?
Maybe it is irregular, so some deys she lays and some she doesn'1...
Or maybe she is going to have a break...

The light should be regular because they go by the natural light sunrise to sunset. I noticed that during the three days when I didn't get an egg, she was slowly building a mound of pine shaving with a depression in the middle and yesterday the mound was done and there was an egg. I got an egg today, too. Was she just not laying because she was building a little nest?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom