Button Quail Eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by AimsChickies, Jan 13, 2009.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Does anyone happen to know how long they are viable? My buttons just started laying this week and I wanted to collect eggs for a few days before I try incubating to test their fertility.

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Well after 10 days or so the fertility begins to drop. Not sure how long after that until they are toast-don't chill them.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    refridgerating eggs actually makes them last longer until you can incubate them, however i dont know of anyone who does it for quail eggs lol. I'd say 10 days too.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I put all of mine in the fridge, pointed end down, with the carton flat, and don't tilt or turn them. I threw 25 in the bator with some being 2weeks or more old. All 25 made it to hatching and I have 24 healthy chicks. Ideal conditions are probably the same as for chickens: store them around 60F, pointed end down, tilt 1-2 times daily, and set within 7-10days of being laid. Quail eggs are quite durable though and if you don't have as many as you want by 10 days I wouldn't worry about collecting for awhile longer before setting them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by