Button Quail Eggs

AimsChickies

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
SW Florida
Does anyone happen to know how long they are viable? My buttons just started laying this week and I wanted to collect eggs for a few days before I try incubating to test their fertility.

Well after 10 days or so the fertility begins to drop. Not sure how long after that until they are toast-don't chill them.

refridgerating eggs actually makes them last longer until you can incubate them, however i dont know of anyone who does it for quail eggs lol. I'd say 10 days too.

I put all of mine in the fridge, pointed end down, with the carton flat, and don't tilt or turn them. I threw 25 in the bator with some being 2weeks or more old. All 25 made it to hatching and I have 24 healthy chicks. Ideal conditions are probably the same as for chickens: store them around 60F, pointed end down, tilt 1-2 times daily, and set within 7-10days of being laid. Quail eggs are quite durable though and if you don't have as many as you want by 10 days I wouldn't worry about collecting for awhile longer before setting them.

Back
Top Bottom