Button quail emergency

I don’t know… maybe -2?
I just got on the site, so didn't see this thread till now! I'm assuming that's -2°C?
If so that is way too cold for button quail...put her in a warm place immediately, around 70°F....she should recover fairly quickly.
ETA - watch her carefully for the next few days, she might develop a respiratory issue from being chilled.

Last edited:
I don't know if the button quail you keep in the US are less hardy than the ones we have in Denmark, but over here buttons CAN be outside all winter. They need a dry enclosure with no wind and of cause you can't just put them outside in the middle of the winter, they need time to get used to low temperatures, but temperature wise there will be several nights around -10 C and buttons do just fine. I have kept buttons outside for years and they are no more likely to die than the ones that are inside.
Not saying the temperatures didn't play a role in this case, since she seems to be getting better with no treatment but the heat, but the general assumption that buttons are unable to withstand cold is definitely wrong.

So, today she seems much better than she was last night. She still is acting a bit differently and more droopy maybe? than the rest

Back
Top Bottom