Button quail escaping new cage.

BunnyBuns

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Colorado
Hi I have 2 button quail and recently got them a new cage! The smallest button quail however keeps squeezing through the bars to escape! I really like this cage and want to keep it for them but I can't have him escaping any ideas on how to keep him in?
This is the cage I have...

It does have a top, he is just squeezing through the sides. (not actual picture of my cage, same cage though but with a top)
Looking for any and every ideas!

I suggest you wrap poultry wire around the sides and (hot glue/ whatever you want to do) it down.Or put stuff around it on the inside/outside/both so they can't do anything.

Could use half inch hardware cloth on the sides and zip tie it on, on the outside. He won't fit though that.

You're welcome.
1f60a.png

Yes that should work, won't be as nice to look through but should do the job for you.

you can buy plexi glass at Home Depot that is pretty thin and is easy to cut to size. Cut one piece for each side about 6 inches high and just drill holes in the corners and use zip ties to hold them to the inside or outside of the cage. Even window screening would work if you can figure how to attach it to the bars. Good luck.

Even window screening would work if you can figure how to attach it to the bars. Good luck.
The window screen could be wrapped around the bottom of the cage on the outside. Poke small holes though the screen on the corners using small zip ties. (Edited to add:) Home Depot and Lowes sells a roll of this screen that is 8.5" x 100'.

Just curious as to why you would want to keep a bird in a cage made for a guinea pig? I know it's far fetched to put a bird in a bird cage...
James

Last edited:
people use these types of cages for the solid bottom. Buttons do not do well on wire bottoms, but that said I just cover the bottom with non slip shelf liner and toss a bit of aspen shavings on top. I am using a half tall finch flight cage, I love the large doors to clean and care for the buttons and they love the room. Its 18 high x 18 wide x 36 long. Also some folks use whatever cage they have laying around. recycling?

Back
Top Bottom