Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Macclesfield NC
Was wondering if this button is male or female? Thanks Willow

16913_gedc0119.jpg

16913_gedc0118.jpg

Or do I need better pics

The bib is not really white more off white I guess, its really a small one so hard to tell. I guess its a boy since they are 6 weeks going on 7 and no eggs. does seem slightly fatter then my other one who I am positive is a boy from his markings.

Without a doubt that is a Red Breasted hen. I have one pictured in my avatar with her 16 eggs that she sat on and hatched every single one. I have raised them for a few years now and my first hen who is in the avatar looked just like yours. They don't usually start laying until 7 weeks or later. Even though she appears to have a bib it is cream not white like a males would be. A sure fire way to sex most Buttons is to look at the vent area. In males it has reddish feathers in females it looks just like the rest of their feathers. However in the silver varieties it is pinkish in males as the red is diluted. White and Splash are the hardest ones to sex as they don't have any colored feathers. You have to go by eggs or not. They both make crowing noises but only the male makes a windy type noise and puff up their throats while doing it. They mainly do it when alone. I sex Whites and Splashes by putting them alone and see if they either lay or make that noise. Good luck with her! She is very pretty!!

Last edited:
Hi button quail heaven
Nice to see you glad you chimed in here I know you would have the answer
Willow the eggs I sent 90% of my birds came from button quail heaven I trust her 100%

Back
Top Bottom