Button quail help needed from hatching

Moonchicken77

In the Brooder
May 15, 2021
My first hatch has been going awesome however I need some help! I had a baby pip around 3pm yesterday well it is finally out of the egg but the cord is still connected. Should I leave it alone if so for how long?? I'm getting very concerned this little baby has been going at it 23 hours already! I'm not intervening but should I? If not do I just let it be?? I'm scared this baby isn't going to make it and it's stressful! Any help or advice please I need it!
For the most part they hatch like most birds just super fragile.
To boot my brooder went out so had to run to tractor supply pay a small fortune but it's up and going but it seems cool to me but it may just be around the edges

I'm sorry if it's too late here.

Unfortunately having to help a button hatch is really very common, but they almost always have further problems. One I had was born splay leg, another crook toed, others just very small and weak.

However I have a had a couple that did make it, so it's worth the time.

First if you haven't already increase the humidity. During a button hatch it should about 70% but you can knock it up to 75%. This will help soften the egg and chord so he can get out.

If this doesn't work gently start breaking the egg shell and unstick him from the bottom, if there's still some chord left he should be able to get it himself.

Wait till he's walking right and is at least somewhat fluffy to put him with the others.

Good luck! Unfortunately whenever you raise birds there will be losses.

I'm sorry if it's too late here.

Unfortunately having to help a button hatch is really very common, but they almost always have further problems. One I had was born splay leg, another crook toed, others just very small and weak.

However I have a had a couple that did make it, so it's worth the time.

First if you haven't already increase the humidity. During a button hatch it should about 70% but you can knock it up to 75%. This will help soften the egg and chord so he can get out.

If this doesn't work gently start breaking the egg shell and unstick him from the bottom, if there's still some chord left he should be able to get it himself.

Wait till he's walking right and is at least somewhat fluffy to put him with the others.

Good luck! Unfortunately whenever you raise birds there will be losses.
I'm sad to say the baby passed this morning. I have another one that it seems like the cord has detached from the egg but a lump on the bottom on my newest hatch. The other 14 are thriving in the brooder eating and drinking thank the heavens above! I know there will be loss and im praying the newest one does better but I called the little one grace since she did grace us with life and I knew she was at the end so I held her in a heated blanket while she passed. They deserve to feel love to! Don't get me wrong I have meat chickens and I love them all while they are here but I do know the circle of life to ;) thank you for responding I do appreciate the help! I have humidity between 70 and 74% and im not opening it. Unfortunately I did have to because I had so many babies dried and running around like crazy! I adore all my animals and these little babies are something else! They are so fast but they come right to my hand every time I fill water like hey Mom checking in lol

I'm sorry for your loss but I'm glad you're having fun with them.

Buttons are my favorite animals and are a lot of fun. You're right. They deserve a lot of love!

Back
Top Bottom