Button Quail I need some help please? PICS (Not an emergency)

JHorn91180

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Northeast KY
Hi I have 4 species of quail and as far as care and everything goes I'm good there but these button quail colors r really confusing to me. Please excuse my ignorance on the colors and correct terms. I used to raise these last about 12 years ago and back then all I had were browns(blue breasted reds with brown wild color backs), solid whites and silvers(sorta lavender gray color). Well a friend gave me some eggs and 5 hatched and r almost gown. 3 r "brown" all males and 2 r solid white which I also suspect one of those is a male also. Regardless I cant have 4 males to one poor little hen so I made a special trip today to a swap just to buy more females. I was lucky to find a man who had some for sale but knew very little about them stating his wife raises them and he just brought the extras to sell. He did mention something about them being "German" I think. Anyways I picked 6 females but once I got them home I may have messed up and got a male in the bunch. Some r not the colors I had b4 and have no clue what to call them.

My question is would some of u nice quail people please take a minute and ID the colors for me and sex the iffy one for me as well? I swear I normally just do the research myself but in the middle of a big move and some of the colors r confusing and look a lot alike to me even tho they have different names.

I bought a solid silver so good there but bought 2 that look like this one and was told they were both hens.

This is the one thats I may have messed up on the sex thought I grabbed a hen but seems to have the edgeing of a mask.

Have no clue what this is called but color reminds me of a female ringneck pheasent.

This is the last one. I like her colors but again am clueless on color. Not the best pic but her underside is all red and it also has a little edgeing of a mask so please dont tell me I messed up and this one is a male also.

Thanks for any help anyone can give. Oh yeah the man also gave me 3 eggs and a friend got me a pied one and is bringing it next week but havnt seen it yet.

Last edited:
pic #1 is silvers, they are hard to sex by looks do you know how to vent them?
#2 one on left and far right are regular red breasted males the one in the middle is a cinnamon red breasted male (young bird)
#3 white ? unknown sex and cinnamon red breasted FEMALE
#4 both the male and female cinnamon red breasted ( I have a pair of these)

I am not a pro but you could join the yahoo group:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Buttonquail411/

and they great folks there can help more.
Good luck
Robin

LOL thank u. Apparently I am really bad at sexing them. I have 2 whites and suspect one on those is a hen but not sure. I have no idea how to vent sex them. Now I do have a solid silver that I don't think is in any of the pictures that looks to b female. The 2 in the first picture r lighter and have more of a white cast to them and didn't know they were just called silvers too. I was told those 2 were young but def hens. Who knows tho. So the birds centered in pic 2 and pics 4 are both male and are the exact same thing? U sd one was young. To me they both look different so does that mean when the darker one matures it will look exactly like the other one?
My luck tho I went to buy hens and now have even more males. Looks like I will be selling off most the males. Thanks for your help.

It is really hard to tell by looking...if they are under 6-8 weeks. try this link to see if you can vent check them and separate them as you do:

http://www.stellar-gamebirds.com/Button-Quail-Information.html

scroll to the bottom of the page for photos.
like I said I am not a pro and the only other way would be by the way the birds act or if they "crow" = male
you do know it is best to keep them in pairs, male female, or 2 females but never 2 males.
good luck

i have done some reserch and have found out that he is a stubble quail and they do live in us i put this picture onto goggle images if you want to take a look

Back
Top Bottom