Button Quail not laying

Guineagang

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 11, 2014
I have read numerous posts about advice on how to encourage the button quail hens to start laying. I know they need some time to get used to their surroundings but it has been 4 weeks and still no eggs. Their diet is high protein with meal worms and grit, so i don't think thats the problem. I live near the equator so we get about 12 hours of light all year round. do i need to provide additional light?? the last thing is do i need to provide a lot of hiding spots?? i had a little hut but they would only spend time there afraid so i took it out so they could get used to me. Should i put it back in? any advice or answers welcome!!!

How many birds? Males and females? What type of enclosure are you using? Day and night temps? 12 hours will be fine but if you want to jump start them add a full spectrum light for an additional 2-3 hours each day, for a total of 14-15 hours. Are you sure you have females? sorry if that sounds dumb but you would be surprised how many folks have all males and think they have females. If you can post photos it might help. oh and one last thing do not feed them more then 5 meal worms per bird per week or they will get fat and will not lay. There are other foods that they like fresh veggies and fruits. Good luck.

4 birds, 2 male and 2 female i have 2 wild colored males a wild colored female and a silver female, during the day the temp is about 30C and

at night around 22C and thanks for the meal worm tip. I also put a piece of drift wood in and some plants to cover their nest area.

the cage looks similar to this

They take some time. Mine started at around 6-7 weeks old, you maybe yours will start around that age too. Good luck!

finely diced apple without the skin/peel or seeds both are toxic to birds, banana, orange, broccoli, spinach, cooked carrots or the fresh tops,, peas and corn ( I squeeze both out of the shell so I don't have to pick up the mess), once in a while I have nice green grass or dandelion just be sure it is clean. They like to pick through the root ends too looking for small bugs. And hard boiled chicken or quail egg you can mash it shell and all and fed to them every couple of days. The most important thing is fresh water and when you have 2 pair in one enclosure it might take them longer to relax, hope they do not fight. Good luck.

thanks again!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom